adding power locks to a 94 cargo........

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
burned
I am smitten with my van

adding power locks to a 94 cargo........

Post by burned »

any one done this?

im not super concerned about the interior switches.i want to add a alarm and it would be nice to be able to remotely unlcok.
94 shorty cargo

TechSys
I am smitten with my van

Post by TechSys »

This I am also interested in.

If I can get to the junkyards within the next couple weeks I may check out the locations of the electric door locks and such.
No sig yet, working on new one

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

It shouldn't be a problem as long as you find a donor van & grab all the wiring harnesses your gonna need . putting all the lock poppers in won't be that hard , but the wiring is gonna be a PIA . especially the slider & back doors .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Topic author
burned
I am smitten with my van

Post by burned »

im personally only concerned with the front doors...

any body know how the actuators mount?

i dont think the wiring will be that big of a deal for what im doing.
94 shorty cargo

BoguSoft
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by BoguSoft »

I'm in the process of doing mine. I just grabbed the actuators and linkage from the donor van for the 2 fronts and the rear door. I'm not doing the side door as I don't load much from there and I might gull wing it or something like that. I also grabbed the power window regulators and door wiring as well. I have wired up the windows and installed the actuators with great sucess so far. I have the 2 relays needed to wire up the doors and I'm going to be using strictly remote lock/unlock from a car starter. Unfortunately I won't be doing the locks until spring as the van is getting the V8 swap and bodywork done so it's parked until next year.

The actuators actually mount up to the door on a flat spot beside the latch and with only 2 bolts each. My last cargo van I did I used the generic actuators from eBay and they worked great for the 4 years I had the van.

Here is a link to how to wire them up for you. http://the12volt.com/doorlocks/page3.asp#3wp

Good luck!!
1985 Safari Cargo Shorty, 4.3 Auto, 70,000 Orig Miles !!!
1990 Astro Cargo Shorty Lowrider, 4.3 Z Code
1994 Safari EXT SLE AWD, 4.3 W Code
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L LTD
1987 Jeep YJ, 4.2L, HEI, MC2100, 5.5" Lift, 33" MT's

PJ

Topic author
burned
I am smitten with my van

Post by burned »

ive already been eyeballing the generic kits on ebay as well.i will be using mine strictly off the alarm

i also find the generic power window kits inviting as well.

any one have experience with them?
94 shorty cargo

Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Someone »

I used to do them every day... any generic kit should work, It is fairly simple, just position your acuator so it will move freely and make a bracket to mount it. next just wire it in to your alarm... the kit should come with resistors... and instructions.
'98 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
'89 4Runner SAS'ed, 38.5SX's, Mercedes OM617 Turbo Diesel
'98 Suburban K2500, Cummins 24Valve, 5spd 4x4
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

www.vehiclefleetsolutions.ca