What do I do for the oil pan?

ANYTHING TO DO WITH SWAPPING A V8 OR DIESEL INTO THE ASTRO/SAFARI

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: modified oil pan: pump and sump ?'s

Post by GEJ »

zook94 wrote:The vortech V6 pan is the same as all 1 piece rear main pans, so any pan from 87 up will work. The stock 4.3 oil pump is a direct bolt on for the 5.7, and will supply plenty of oil to the engine, but if you are concerned, there are 2 designs for the 5.7 pump, and 2 designs for the 4.3 pickup. The trick is to find a matching pair at the auto parts store, either both with 5/8 tube size, or both with 3/4 tube. A high pressure pump is generally a good idea, but if your donor engine has lots of miles, sometimes the extra pressure is "too much" for an aged motor, and will cause oil leaks and excessive oil related issues, usually leading to leaving clouds of blue smoke from standing starts. (takes away from the cool factor)

I am a big fan of high volumn pumps over high pressure pumps.But I guess that is a whole different thread. :-k
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

zook94
I get chills without my van.

Re: modified oil pan: pump and sump ?'s

Post by zook94 »

GEJ wrote:
zook94 wrote:The vortech V6 pan is the same as all 1 piece rear main pans, so any pan from 87 up will work. The stock 4.3 oil pump is a direct bolt on for the 5.7, and will supply plenty of oil to the engine, but if you are concerned, there are 2 designs for the 5.7 pump, and 2 designs for the 4.3 pickup. The trick is to find a matching pair at the auto parts store, either both with 5/8 tube size, or both with 3/4 tube. A high pressure pump is generally a good idea, but if your donor engine has lots of miles, sometimes the extra pressure is "too much" for an aged motor, and will cause oil leaks and excessive oil related issues, usually leading to leaving clouds of blue smoke from standing starts. (takes away from the cool factor)

I am a big fan of high volumn pumps over high pressure pumps.But I guess that is a whole different thread. :-k
I agree whole heartedly, but sadly, most parts houses do not know the difference.
http://www.misfitoffroad.com

'93 EXT 2wd 5.0 (for now)

Rockwerx
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: What do I do for the oil pan?

Post by Rockwerx »

I had a few problems running high volume oil pumps with the V8 swap pan. The higher volume pumps would suck the sump dry of oil as soon as the engine rpm went over 4000 rpm. I had to install a shimmed stock pump to avoid this condition. A solution for my engine combo would be to add some more oil capacity to the sump area. One other problem is that the high volume pump positions the sump pickup lower in the pan. The pan I used was not deep enough and I had to modify the pickup tube when I used a high volume oil pump. If you are fabricating your oil pan you can make sure that it will accomodate the extra depth and volume that a high volume oil pump requires.
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1990 V8 Astro LT AWD Lifted
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel
1991 V6 Safari SLT AWD bad engine knock
19?? V6 Safari SLT for parts

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

Here is what the tin V6 oil pan looks like;
eBay motors #180261245258
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Hey Rocky,how about a dry sump??. :-k :-k Nawww,that is getting alittle too wild huh. \:D/ \:D/
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

Gary, do you have a place picked out for the 6 qt dry sump oil tank?
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

HPbyStan wrote:Gary, do you have a place picked out for the 6 qt dry sump oil tank?

Yepper Stan.LOL-you take out the passenger seat(the wife might leave ya) and put the tank there.So now you have plenty of room for the tank and you made a statement who really wears the pants in the family. :-k

Oh yeah that"pants in the family"thing works until she takes ya to court and gets 1/2 of everything you own van included and takes the tank back out and puts the seat back in.Well as the world turns. :muhaha: :yawinkle: :muhaha:
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Rockwerx

Post by Rockwerx »

GEJ wrote:Hey Rocky,how about a dry sump??. :-k :-k Nawww,that is getting alittle too wild huh. \:D/ \:D/
Nothing is too wild when they are still just ideas...good idea on the dry sump. Lots of room under the van for a 6 quart or larger oil reservoir. I was just going to add onto the sides of the pan sump area to give it some more oil capacity.
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1990 V8 Astro LT AWD Lifted
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel
1991 V6 Safari SLT AWD bad engine knock
19?? V6 Safari SLT for parts

Topic author
gabequest

Post by gabequest »

You guys are KooKooKatchoo! :muhaha:
2004 Astro AWD
4inch Overland lift, 265/70/16, Poptop Colorado CamperVan, 11inch Roof Fan, Custom Bumper...more to come on the interior