Ole Yellar goes tilt

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

Topic author
GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Ole Yellar goes tilt

Post by GEJ »

In in order to get my 1989 donor van really to go to the crusher I swapped out the tilt steering column to Ole Yellar a 1985.The wiring harness is the same except for the delay wiper control which was on the 1989 column.I had to for now swap the plastic connector at the base of the column from the Ole Yellar to the tilt one.I will swap out the delay controller and wiring harness from the 1989 at some point.The tilt column has also cruise control and we will take the harness for that off as well.The TBI 350 that is going in Ole Yellar has the cruise unit on it.One of the things I saw in the GM design was the four bolts at the base of the column that bolts to the firewall.Well there are only two bolts in the middle of the column and these four self-tapping bolts to the firewall.I considered lifted vans with this design because I am going to lift Ole Yellar some.I could see if those four self-tapping bolts where loose at all it would create vibes in the steering wheel.With the u-joints that are there in the steering all that is holding the base of the column still is those lonely four self-tapping bolts.The other thing I considered was lifted vans with longer intermediate shafts are in fact safer in a frontend crash.The longer intermediate shaft I think would give a better lever to bent the steering u-joints and therefore not come back at the driver.But that is just what I think.

Here is the order I found out was the easiest to remove the steering column:

Remove the clamp bolt above the intermediate shaft where the steering column connects to it.Try to spread the clamp connector alittle.

Remove the trans shifter rod from the column(yeah the one that is under the hood going to the trans).I am not saying any kind of cottor pin or e-clip was used here because I found two different types where used.

Remove the dash cover under the column that has four philips screws.

Remove the four base bolts bolted to the firewall.

Remove the two nuts holding the column in the middle and drop the column.

De-wire it noting where the wire went.

Turn the column to allow the shift selector to come thru the hole in the firewall.

Seperate the steering column from the intermediate shaft and pull it out of the van.

The main point is to take off the wires after you have dropped the column.I found that was tons easier.And wire it up before you bolt it back up.

Pictures I got,just still dealing with the computer issues and once that is resolved,I will post them.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Topic author
GEJ

Re: Ole Yellar goes tilt

Post by GEJ »

Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

ScottS
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by ScottS »

Looks great Gary ! :bounce:
1998 Safari AWD NE OHIO
1995 Safari AWD

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Here is some other photo's showing the flange at the bottom of the steering column.GM cheaped out using only 4 self tapping screws and I guess it "could" create some vibes if any came loose.When I go to do my 4" lift,I think I will drill them out and have atleast 1/4 20's or maybe 3/8's with locking nuts.

Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

looks like a big job but, the way you explain it makes it sound pretty easy gary.. nice one.
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*