rear end swap question

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ON THE REAR DRIVE SHAFT OR AXLE, IT GOES HERE.

Topic author
k120189
I finally get the smurf thing

rear end swap question

Post by k120189 »

well a 4 1/2 hour trip down to gary's would be fun and it might still happen..but my friend just killed the engine in his 1500 it has the 8.5 10 bolt rear...how hard would it be to put that under the van...its a 2wd truck if that makes a difference and its an older truck and has the matching 5x5 pattern...in fact the wheels off that truck are on the van now

--->2000 RWD 4.3L/4L60E ,3.43 gears.exhaust and throttle body mods.
...gone =(...

-->1998 kia sportage 3 inch lift 30 inch tires under repairs

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: rear end swap question

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The problem is that the drive shaft may hit the gas tank. The 8.5 rear is centered. Best you can do is take some measurements and see if it'll fit.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

The problem is that the drive shaft may hit the gas tank. The 8.5 rear is centered. Best you can do is take some measurements and see if it'll fit.
Had the same problem installing the center dif. Vette rear. Wound up installing a more narrow S-10 tank for shaft to clear but I also had to run 1.5" thick adapters to get wheels sitting in correct location.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Rebel wrote:I also had to run 1.5" thick adapters to get wheels sitting in correct location.
With the truck rear end there won't be any need for wheel spacers.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
k120189

Post by k120189 »

ok.. what about the spring perches? probly have to move them and the shock mounts right? its a free axle so a little work is worth it...plus the van is getting four linked and bagged soon so i might be looking into a fuel cell anyway...i found a 93 mazda b2200i (4cyl mini truck) that my friend will trade for my bronco..i can drive that while i do the van then drive the van while the truck gets the same treatment

...gone =(...

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

After building a number of race car set-ups using Jeg's,Alston,etc-for 4 links,let me advise you that you have be careful with offsets(passenger to pinion center and driver to pinion center)and square to the front end.The start of it all is a completely level van on all four cornners for the sake of measurements."xing" in the stock location of the pinion and duping that with the four link.Center of the right spindle to center of the left rear axle as a example and the same on the other side.Then centering the pinion to the output of the tranny.

I got to go for now-but all I am going to say is drive trains can do some really weird things if your not on your "A" game.

Will post later.

BTW-those articles about "Sub and Tub in a weekend are all just so much nonsense .
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Topic author
k120189

Post by k120189 »

no four link just yet but im also going triangulated...it seems like it would fit better under the astro...and rebel...the s10 tank...does it just bolt it (doubt it) how hard it is to get that in...

...gone =(...

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

The S-10 tank was no big deal. It's not an exact fit but close enough. The problem I had was with the tank being shorter and more narrow my mechanical sending unit was shorting out on the floor support bracket. Went to Big Lots and bought one of those long foam tubes kids play with in the pool and cut two pieces to place between top of tank and floor. This dropped the tank down so unit would clear.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Pm sent about Mr_Roboto's 9" ford swap:

Here is a link to the thread:

http://www.astrosafari.com/cgi/ib/ikonb ... =6;t=17717
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.