Weeee! Hurricane Party

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Weeee! Hurricane Party

Post by kings-x59 »

Say a prayer for the pig. She's siting out in the driveway waiting for Ike's arrival. I put a bit of 2" wide clear tape over the top of the barn doors to keep the rain out. The house is stocked, the pertinent windows boarded, and now we wait.
Most likely I won't be here for few days, as the power is sure to be out. See you guys in a few.....
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Weeee! Hurricane Party

Post by astrozam »

Take care brother :cheers:

dafrogtoad
I get chills without my van.

Post by dafrogtoad »

Get back as soon as ya can, stay safe.
350 hp full roller SBC
Vortec iron heads
Modded TBI, 65 inj. Aeromotove Fuel reg. Speckter/K&N filter
4 core rad. Stewart WP
Heddmans, Dynomax Ultra Flo X
Tach
Alpine
Lund Moon Visor

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Bad one coming in for sure. You guys hang on and hope you got out of there. It's already got our gas prices up to 5 bucks a gallon and they say we'll be out by Monday for a week.
Take care.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Local news here in Roch stated the weather service down there told people who stayed should write their S.S. number on their arms.Man-that sounds real bad.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

dafrogtoad
I get chills without my van.

Post by dafrogtoad »

Bad may not begin to describe it...my son lives in Clear Lake (he's in Austin now) and our family has seen our share of big storms..this one is flooding MY marina (in Slidell La. 6 hours from Houston) over 6 feet. I hope to god the surge estimates for the Galv-Houston area are overstated. IF not, this could be the worst since Katrina..
[-o< [-o< [-o<
350 hp full roller SBC
Vortec iron heads
Modded TBI, 65 inj. Aeromotove Fuel reg. Speckter/K&N filter
4 core rad. Stewart WP
Heddmans, Dynomax Ultra Flo X
Tach
Alpine
Lund Moon Visor

Topic author
kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

getting rather blustery up here on the NW side of houston, but no rain yet which is weird. the storm surge started building this morning, I don't know if any of you have watched the weather channel, but they had some great shots of the waves breaking over the seawall - +17 ft above sea level. heard something crash a block over earlier tonight, we think it was a tree branch hitting a neighbor's house. I wonder how HoustonAstro is making out, haven't seen him on the board for quite a while. He's inside the loop, about 20 miles from where I am. My cat is freaking out. We are stocked, food, water, batteries, coleman stove, tons of propane, plenty of soft drinks, beer and a bottle of glen levit. Clear lake is in for some flooding due to the storm surge. My sister lives in Nassau Bay, right across Nasa Road 1 from Nasa, same issue there. She's up here at My Dad's house. Pam and I drove down to Sargent yesterday morning at 4 am to get our gear from the family house on the coast. The kayaks are safely ensconced in our garage in the racks. The house, boat house, boat barn...I don't know. May not be there after this. As I'm typing I can hear the wind starting roar down the chimney like a bad bearing.
What a pain the the boot. Thanks for the well wishes, much appreciated. See you guys in a few.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

dumb lady
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dumb lady »

Hope you're safe Mr kings-x59.,,
I just turned on the news & it's saying 4 & a half MILLION people without power!! Holy CRAP!
Please everybody, say a prayer for those poor folks.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
~Ayn Rand

'96 RWD Astro. 155K

Topic author
kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

power went down pretty early in the storm, got the generator running late yesterday after the wind subsided. the good news is a cold front is rolling in so it should cool off some. The bad news is a cold front is rolling in and it rained another 7" in the wee hours of the morning. Galveston, Bolivar Peninsula and Surfside beach went completely under water. The storm stripped the houses off surfside beach with exception of a handfull. Looks like I'll be filing a claim for my roof on my homeowner's insurance, lost a lot of shingles, had a few leaks. Had one dripping from the second floor ceiling in the foyer above the front door. In true astrosafarian fashion, I grabbed some plastic garbage bags, a step ladder and some tape and redirected the drip into a bucket on the floor to save my laminate floors.
Had some other minor water infiltration during the storm, but since the wind died down that seems to have subsided. It is dead calm outside right now. The chase building in downtown houston looks like someone blasted it with a giant shotgun.
If you are curious, check out the website of our local NBC affiliate - good site for weather down here.
http://www.click2houston.com/index.html

All considered, we are doing great here on the NW side. \:D/

name's Steve

Mongke Khan
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Mongke Khan »

kings-x59 wrote:
true astrosafarian
I'm new here okay so if the term "Astrosafarian" has been used before I missed it. But that's awesome. Jah Astrosafar I!

What's left of Ike rolled over St. Louis this morning, lots of rain, flash flooding--

But listen, I've got room here for any Astrosafarians (and/or their families) who suddenly find themselves homeless, seriously--

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Good to hear Steve :supz:

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Glad to hear you're OK. It's a bit heart wrenching seeing all of the devastation. There's a lot of people that have nothing to come home to. There's a convoy of Progress Energy trucks coming your way. That's an electrical service provider here.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

It kind of amazes me how far this storm had a effect.All the states in it's path where effected.Even here in Roch NY lost trees and power due to the storm passing thru last night.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

Topic author
kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

GEJ wrote:It kind of amazes me how far this storm had a effect.All the states in it's path where effected.Even here in Roch NY lost trees and power due to the storm passing thru last night.
yeah and this one was only a category 2 storm. The storm surge set a record. that's where most of the flooding in houston came from. It backed up the bayous and rivers. The runoff from the rain had nowhere to go.
Over a million homes and businesses without power (mine included). Rescue / Recovery crews and power crews are coming in from all over the country. Last I saw, the death toll was around 208 on Galveston Island. The comment about writing your social security number on your arm was no joke, I forget who said it, but I saw it on the news and they weren't kidding.
just prior to the storm making landfall, one of the newscasters was interviewing 10 people or so having a party out on a deck down in galveston waiting for the storms arrival. - buncha fools.

name's Steve