Am I a natural born instigator?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Am I a natural born instigator?

Post by T.Low »

Kinda curious to see what kind of reception this gets. (scroll down to the familiar pics, then look for any replies). Any predictions? I'm expecting to either get ignored or a big "WTF?" followed by getting burned right off the forum.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... 7cf980a2b0

In all fairness, most of you know that I am a van fan in general: I like 'em all (to a point). And it just says "member's rides" and I'm a member.

Another observation: I've gotten thumbs up from Jeeps, lifted 4x4's of all types, entusiastic reception from Sportsmobiles and Land Rovers and 4x4 clubs in general. But never a wave, or any type of acknowledgement from VW's; just wicked stares and scowls as if I've done something wrong, or encroached on their territory of "cool" or something weird like that.

Not that I am worried about, just curious.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

astronut74
I sleep in my van

Re: Am I a natural born instigator?

Post by astronut74 »

I'm sure you'll get some folks wanting to flame, maybe even most of 'em, but I'm sure you can take whatever they dish out...

As a side note, looking at all those vanagons, the astro looks huge next to those anorexic things!!
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Yeah, I've yet to hang with one to get any side by side comparison. But I was really suprised at how small the Pinzgauer is next to the Astro. Camped on the Olympic Penninsula last weekend with a Pinz and a Range Rover. The Pinz is really cool, but looked like a military Jeep van or something.
ImageImageImageImage

mattblackratbus
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by mattblackratbus »

Funny you should bring this up, before i got my Astro i always wanted a splity but prices and good examples here in the UK dictated that i should go for the Astro (glad i did), whilst out driving a often see VW campers and as i have a soft spot for them i always give a wave but have never recieved a wave back, so do i stop waving and seem like an snoob or carry on in the vane hope that one day one of them might wave back :-k , as for your post on the other forum, i think it will get lost as they continue their blind faith that is VW only....Johnny

Mongke Khan
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Mongke Khan »

Those are some gorgeous pics you posted there.
And you have a right to be proud of that sweet outfit of yours, I'm sure any one of us would want to show it off at every opportunity, and I don't think there's anything un-natural about it.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

People who post negative comments are idiots. :poke: If you are a real car person you have to appreciate all of them. Your Astro is top notch. :supz: You have a right to be proud. You're in good hands here. The brotherhood of the Astrosafarians is unique. Keep the pics of your adventures coming. They're great. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Well, since you just posted the other day they are probably still in shock. Also its kinda hard to post when your out lookin to purchase an Astro/Safari to replace your old van :D

Don't be surprised if someone makes a negative comment ( theres always a snob ) but i think for the most part there will be alot of vanagon owners who say cool, although they might not say it on the forum. Must be a VW thing in general I find Jetta drivers to be a little aloof as well.

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

mattblackratbus wrote:Funny you should bring this up, before i got my Astro i always wanted a splity but prices and good examples here in the UK dictated that i should go for the Astro (glad i did), whilst out driving a often see VW campers and as i have a soft spot for them i always give a wave but have never recieved a wave back, so do i stop waving and seem like an snoob or carry on in the vane hope that one day one of them might wave back :-k , as for your post on the other forum, i think it will get lost as they continue their blind faith that is VW only....Johnny
Once again, thanks for all the props, guys. (Sometimes you guys say the nicest things! :rolleyes: )

Same here, MattBlackrb. I always liked the idea of a Vanagon Westy but didn't like the fact that they were voted "Most likely to be found at the head of any freeway bottle neck" doing 53mph. I still would like to check out a Suburu powerred Westy for comparison sake (on highway and off road). Honestly, not to compete, but to objectively and subjectivley compare.
ImageImageImageImage

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

astrozam wrote:Well, since you just posted the other day they are probably still in shock. Also its kinda hard to post when your out lookin to purchase an Astro/Safari to replace your old van :D

Don't be surprised if someone makes a negative comment ( theres always a snob ) but i think for the most part there will be alot of vanagon owners who say cool, although they might not say it on the forum. Must be a VW thing in general I find Jetta drivers to be a little aloof as well.

:muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha: :muhaha:
ImageImageImageImage