Hybrid RV's

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Hybrid RV's

Post by thevalleyboy »

Okay Lifted... and Firecakes... feel free to give input - how do people like Hybrid RV's and what is their general shortcomings? I am looking to get one to pull behind the Astro... probably a 19' dual axle for smooth pulling.... I like the fact they have a big fridge... and are functional for a lunch stop
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Hybrid RV's

Post by GEJ »

Go to

http://www.iRV2.com

Tons of info there on their forum.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Well, lets see. We LOVE ours! There is so much more room than our pop-up had plus like you said, you can pull into a rest area while traveling and use the potty and make a sandwich and grab a cold soda right out of the fridge. They store in your driveway like a shorter camper but when opened up they feel like a much larger travel trailer. The sides being nice and smooth is also very nice. It is easy to clean and looks good too. They seem to have a much more open floor plan as well. With having bunk ends on both ends you can unzip the ends and get some great cross breeze if you don't want to run the A/C.

Now for the bad side. If you are camping and it rains, you need to setup the bunkends once you get home so they can dry out. This past year we had rain on every trip but 1. ](*,) The bunk ends tend to get hot with the sun blazing on them. This is easily solved by using pop-up gizmos. These are reflective covers for the top of the bunk ends. They also help keep the tenting clean. Very inexpensive solution to the sun's heat and the bird's droppings!

As for towing one with your van...I could not get our 2003 AWD Astro set up well enough to tow our camper. We tended to get a lot of sway from any cross wind whether it was the weather or a passing truck. Looking back on it, I think it is more than likely caused by the suspension and tires on the camper and the tires on the van. With our Ram 2500, I can still feel the sway. It just doesn't bother the truck at all. Our camper has a very soft torsion suspension and only has 13" load range C tires. Plus the van only had P rated tires. The camper rides awesome but tends to float around a lot more than the standard leaf spring suspension setups.

If you want the best info on Hybrids, go to the Hybrid Explorer website and check out their message board.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

they look interesting.... but when I first heard the term Hybrid RV, I was thinking they were referring to the propulsion part of the RV.... Gas/Electric or what have you... hoping to get an RV that got great mileage or better for the environment... or something.

The saw them at an RV show.... still interesting, but disapointing at the same time.

I still want to make or buy an Astro Camper... as long as it has a comfortable bed, microwave, sink mini fridge and tv (preferably with Direct TV) awning, hitch with hitchhaul for storage on the back... decent mileage and easy to park and maneuver.

However a small RV, that opens up, but not a popuo (maybe a hi-low) or even a small Hybrid would be a nice option as well....
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

afsigma21
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by afsigma21 »

I have a 23' Coyote by KZ, I always called them "Pop Outs" until I heard them called Hybrid.

We LOVE ours, as said above, when folded up they are nice and small(er) but really expand.

Mine being 23' is on the larger side and even has a slide out on one side, It would be a tall order for an Astro, it weighs in at 5500lbs fully loaded.

They are great.

One thing not mentioned above, if you ever camp in the cold, like below 25 F, the heater has a hard time keeping the bunk areas warm. We froze one night, the slept on the dinette bed the second night and it was fine.

I know the make electric warmers for under the mattresses that would probably make a big difference.

I have an Expedition to pull it with, tows great, but the comfort and gas mileage of an Expedition SUCKS!

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Mine being 23' is on the larger side and even has a slide out on one side, It would be a tall order for an Astro, it weighs in at 5500lbs fully loaded.
This is why we traded the 03 AWD for a Ram 2500. Our Jayco 232 is 23' and has 3 bunks. It also has a 5500# GVW.
I know the make electric warmers for under the mattresses that would probably make a big difference.
We have the heated mattresses! :muhaha:
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

I'd be more into something like a 19' Rockwood Roo
19' Rockwood Roo
Or something similar - weighs in at probably around 4200lbs loaded - supposed to be 3300lbs dry weight
Of course I would have a set of Firestone Airbags on the back for assistance with the added hitch weight.

I agree anything larger would probably be too much for an Astro
Calgary, Alberta

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Moreforles wrote:they look interesting.... but when I first heard the term Hybrid RV, I was thinking they were referring to the propulsion part of the RV.... Gas/Electric or what have you... hoping to get an RV that got great mileage or better for the environment... or something.

The saw them at an RV show.... still interesting, but disapointing at the same time.

I still want to make or buy an Astro Camper... as long as it has a comfortable bed, microwave, sink mini fridge and tv (preferably with Direct TV) awning, hitch with hitchhaul for storage on the back... decent mileage and easy to park and maneuver.

However a small RV, that opens up, but not a popuo (maybe a hi-low) or even a small Hybrid would be a nice option as well....

What you just said you want is a Provans Tiger XL or GT on a Astro chassis.Slightly larger than a Astro,but small enough to be able to get around things.16 to 18 mpg to boot.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

SO does anyone on the forum have any experience with a Jayco Kiwi Too RV's - 22 foot - here are the specs. I know the Astro is rated to 5500lbs in the AWD configuration, and this unit is bacially the same weight as a hybrid. I'll have the tranny cooler installed soon, and then get airbags for the back end - it seems I found a decent deal on one of these units and have to consider it. Heres the unit.... 22' Jayco Kiwi Too

Exterior Travel Length 22' 6"
Exterior Width 7' 6 "
Exterior Height w/Std. AC 116"
Interior Headroom 78"
UVW 3585
Axle Weight 3210
Hitch Weight 375
NCC 1365
GVWR 4950
Fresh Water Capacity* 30
Gray Water Capacity 30
Toilet/Waste Water Capacity 22
Calgary, Alberta

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

There is a chance you might be able to pull it comfortably with air bags, LT tires, tight steering and a rear sway bar. I said *might*. My 2003 would not have pulled it very comfortably seeing as it is basically the same physical size and weight as our 232. It is the wind that will kill you.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Too mouintainous around these parts. I have an old '17 Prowler that we really like, but @ 4500lbs haven't even tried to pull it with the van.

ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

Take a looky at these, we have the 2619 model. Best to get used, pretty pricey for a new one, but super light weight and folds down to cut down on wind resistance. Best part for us...you can close up in a rain storm, stays dry, and you don't have to reopen when you get home to air out the canvas like a hybrid, evrthing is hard sided aluminum, no canvas =D> . It's also very lightweight, ours weighs 2500#, only pushes 3-3200# loaded. Only drawback is you have to open complete camper to get inside. We pulled to Mrtyle beach with our S10 Blazer 4.3L and averaged 14 mpg. I would like the 3023 or 3124KB, but we got the small one super cheap so we are sticking with it for awhile.
Our friends have the Rockwood Roo 23' just cause they needed the extra bed and slide cause there is 5 of them, they love it, but pull with a V8 Exploder. Rockwood IMO is one of the best built/best valued campers out there.

http://www.trailmanor.com/

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

Yes thats a pretty nice unit - might be an option - have not seen any of those up here in Cow Town... that Jayco Kiwi Too sold today - so it's off the list Cheers! :cheers:
Calgary, Alberta

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

theres also a new camper from airstream - the basecamp. thought it was pretty cool and light enough for strofaris as well.
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

Rufus
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by Rufus »

BLAZER wrote: I would like the 3023 or 3124KB, but we got the small one super cheap so we are sticking with it for awhile.
http://www.trailmanor.com/
Hey Blazer. I too have been looking for a 3023/3124KB. :cheers: Last summer my local dealer actually custom ordered the 3124KB for me with no strings... but before I could get up there, he sold it. Couldn't blame him a bit. (Bird in hand, etc.)
There was a guy here locally that had a used 2720SL (not my first, second, or third choice) that I thought about, but passed on it.
I've been on "hold" going forward though, until the economy levels out a bit.

TM's are more expensive per sq ft than a conventional travel trailer, but IMHO, other than a pop-up or some type of small ultra-lite, this is about the only type of camper you can safely tow with an Astro/Safari. Hell, the 3124KB opens to 31ft, sleeps 6 and only weighs 3100 dry. It's also very easy to store... your 2619 would probably fit inside a normal size garage.
97 Astro LS Passenger Van, 4.3L (newly rebuilt)
New Orleans, LA