97 AWD Rear springs

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
THier
I am merely driving my van

97 AWD Rear springs

Post by THier »

Are they used on any other vehicles,, I want to find some heavier springs,, were they application specific?

Thanks,
Tom

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: 97 AWD Rear springs

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The Astro and Safari springs are specific to these vans. What you will need to do is find a spring shop and have them either make you a heavier set with the lift (or stock height) you need or just have them make you an add-a-leaf. Another option is to use air bags or a set of Timbrens for less sag when loaded down.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
THier

Post by THier »

How stiff are Overlands 4" kit springs?, I just picked up some helper springs, haven't tried to tow with them yet, but they did restore some ride height, (1" or so)

Thanks,
Tom

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

i grabbed the add-a-leaf from OLV and intend to install timbrens with it should remove the sag while camping
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

Cobra wrote:i grabbed the add-a-leaf from OLV and intend to install timbrens with it should remove the sag while camping
So what is involved in installing the add-a-leaf?
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Topic author
THier

Post by THier »

Rileysowner wrote:
Cobra wrote:i grabbed the add-a-leaf from OLV and intend to install timbrens with it should remove the sag while camping
So what is involved in installing the add-a-leaf?
Removing spring, removing center bolt,, (cutting is usually easiest) installing leaf and new center bolt, re-installing spiring, (personally I would replace u-bolts)

Tom

Spike99
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Spike99 »

My 2001 Safari AWD has both +1 leaf and Timbrens SES 2,000 lbs in its rear. These rear suspension upgrades works great for my often internal loaded passenger van while pulling a 6x10 or 4x6 loaded utility trailer. With these upgrade products, I can "load her up" without fussing with Air Bag pressure. Simply install them and leave them. To me, the Safari / Astro AWD systems should come standard with 4 leaf and Timbren SES unit upgrades. If possible, Timbren SES units in its front as well. Thus, firming up its front end suspension depth as well.

Notes:
1 - If you install +1 leaf in its rear, you may have to create a special steel spacer for your Timbren units as well. Vision 1.5" spacer like an over sized steel hockey puck. Thus, creating its recommended 1/2" gap between its frame and Timbren SES units. My local welder created these spacers for only $5.00 each. Well worth it.
2 - The +1 leaf will raise the rear of your van. If desired, raise the front of your van by 1.25" (or so) by using its Torsion bar adjustments (if AWD system). After its "new stance" looks and feels great, ensure you get your van's alignment done as well. Every time the rear of the van is raised (even with air bags), the van's front end natually goes down. When its front end is brought back up, gets its alignment re-done - to save its front tires and steering arms.

Sounds complex and with a few adjustments. In the end, I'm very pleased with the upgraded suspension under the rear of my 2001 Safari AWD van. I can now go on family trips while pulling our loaded utility trailers without sagging it. From a visual, its `stance while loaded looks and feels great`. And, I don't have to "fuss around" with air pressure during loaded or unloaded times either. Simply install and leave them.

Hope this helps as well...

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

For me when I get to the rear springs I am going to go to some uncharted style of springs for a Astro's.Mopar used to make what they called "super stock springs".What they are is a steel primary spring and the secondary springs are offset towards the front by the bolt hole.When you apply a reasonable amount of power,it lifts the body like a traction bar would.I have seen that kind of thing on semi's when they don't have a trailer hooked to them with the air ride systems they have.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.