Parts Interchangeability

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
Lon
I am smitten with my van

Parts Interchangeability

Post by Lon »

I've found a running driving but wrecked 88 window van, and I have a 95 cargo van with a bad drivetrain.

I plan on putting a V-8 in the 95 and robbing what I can off of the 88. What can I use off of the 88? I was thinking of using the throttle body with some larger injectors and the rearend. I know either trans will have to have the extra clutch discs.

How hard is it to remove the headliner? The 88 has a full length headliner but the cargo has a partial headliner so I thought I'd swap that out as well.

Bascially what are the major differences between the 88 and 95?

Thanks for any help

Lon

Yeah I posted a similar post on AstroSafari.

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

the head liner will not fit as the 88 is a short van and the 95 is a extended van so the liner will be short at the back. If you have emmissions testing in your state you can't use the 88 tbi as the old system will not pass the test for a 95. Also if you plan on doing this anyway (no testing) you will need to strip the entire computer and wiring harness out of the 88 to put in the 95 as the systems are toatly different. You would probably have a better time using the body panels off the 95 to fix the 88 as the fenders and front end will bolt right on and look really good. Taking the drive train out of the 88 will be difficult to make work as the system is just too old for the 95 and you would have no resale value if you ever went to sell it as it would be a total bodge job. But a 88 with a 95 front end and other suspension bits as needed would be way cool and worth more money if you ever went to sell it.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Topic author
Lon
I am smitten with my van

Post by Lon »

Thanks for the reply. I posted on the other site as well but I did not post my new discovery. My freeby van is a 94. So I think everything I want will swap over. I lucked out because the 94 is also a TBI van. In Alabama we dont have emissions testing. I could put a motor on a skateboard and all I would need to register it would be a VIN and working lights.