Locations for sub mount in cargo van?

ANYTHING RELATED TO AUDIO OR VIDEO SYSTEMS WHETHER STOCK OR AFTERMARKET.

Topic author
Jared
I am merely driving my van

Locations for sub mount in cargo van?

Post by Jared »

OK, so I am planning to install a sub system in my cargo van... but I am having a hard time making a decision as to the mount location for the sub box. The amp can be bolted in under the drivers seat without a problem... but I need the subs to be out of the way, due to my carrying of a ton of tools in the cargo area. I do have a cargo partition installed, and cannot use a "console" type mount, due to needing the area clear to open the cargo door in the partition for lumber etc.

So, basically, my 2 choices that I can see are:

1. Build custom boxes to fit behind the seats. I'd rather not do this if I have the choice, as I store other stuff behind the seats currently - but it is a good last resort spot.

or 2. Build a false floor in the cargo area with rear pull-out drawers for part & tool storage, and leave some room for the sub to be installed below the floor near the front seats of the van.

I believe option #2 is a better choice for many reasons... just gotta make sure the amp is slightly underpowered compared to the overall specs of the subs. I wouldn't want to have to take it apart to get to those subs, once they are in place.

Does anyone have any other creative ideas as to good mount locations which are not visible from outside the van?

Thanks for any insights offered.

Sublimewind
I am smitten with my van

Post by Sublimewind »

You have a cargo partition, but to you have cargo shelves??

What about a box, with the woofer firing down, behind the partition, behind the drivers seat? it could be attached to the partition as a means of securing it. With the woofer firing down, it would have to have some sort of legs (which we could talk about design more later if you want)

What else do you have as far as a system?? Aftermarket head unit?? Stock? What about budget? How far do you want to go with it?
Any fool can go fast in a straight line....
94' Astro AWD EXT W
Other rides:
03' Pontiac Vibe
00' Subaru Impreza 2.5Rs w/2.0 WRX swap
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
The GF...

You can't go wrong with Ohms Law

Topic author
Jared

Post by Jared »

An excellent suggestion. That location could work well for me, as I do not have any cargo shelves in the back, there's no room for them with all the tools I carry. ;) But I believe I could basically build a box around the sub box to keep from tools damaging the subs - or the subs damaging the tools. ;)

As for system, everything I've got is Kenwood, due to getting totally crazy insane cheap pricing from a local dealer - who actually honors genuine warranty issues. Since Kenwood's what he's got - and since I have nothing against Kenwood - it's what I got.

Right now I have a KAC-9103D amp and 2 12" KFC-XW1202DVC dual coil subs. It's in another ride right now, being run by a KDC-MP832U head unit. But I think I might just pick up another amp and a single sub for the van. Right now I have a KDC-MP532U in the van, but will be upgrading to a unit with a sub-out.

But honestly I use this van for a daily driver, as a contractor I can be hauling around thousands in tools at any given time. If it were broken into - or worse yet stolen - I'd be homeless within 30 days... no tools, no work. So some of those "wall of sound" setups are out of the question this time. ;) Just looking to get some nice low end to the van, on the down low.
2000 Astro Cargo 2WD
2nd Owner - Purchased at 69,000 mi

Sublimewind
I am smitten with my van

Post by Sublimewind »

Oh no, i wasn't considering a "wall of subs" mang, just a simple box for a single sub.... You could easily mount the amp to the box, aginst the sid wall, so it would be between the box and the outside wall, out of sight.

The box could be small, and if you were to have it up on "legs" and the sub firing down, you wouldn't see the sub either!!

The box could be mounted to you divider, so you wouldn't have to put and hols in the floor, and it would be secure...

NOW, does this rolling tool chest have an alarm??? Fuel cut off switch somewere?? Ignition cut off switch?? (the last 2 are EASILY installed and easily hidden, CHEAP!)
94' Astro AWD EXT W
Other rides:
03' Pontiac Vibe
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
The GF...

Topic author
Jared

Post by Jared »

NOW, does this rolling tool chest have an alarm??? Fuel cut off switch somewere?? Ignition cut off switch??
Well... I thought it had an alarm when I bought it - but recently I found out that, in fact, all that is still connected is the keyless entry system. http://astrosafarivans.net/bb/viewtopic.php?t=478 So an alarm is in the works, to be acquired within a few weeks.

But I definately need to install both fuel and ignition cutoffs ASAP. Never installed them before - but I'm pretty handy with a wrench, so it shouldn't be a problem with some minimal guidance. Any suggestions?

I have decided to go with your suggestion as to the sub & amp location. I have devised a little system using some very dense neoprene foam which should dampen any vibration of the box against the floor and/or divider.
2000 Astro Cargo 2WD

Sublimewind
I am smitten with my van

Post by Sublimewind »

Awsome... lemme know how things turn out..!!

A ignition/fuel cut off is simple to wire up. A few switches and relays...

Wire the switches to activate the relays and use as a simple interupt for the ignition/fuel... Hide everything under the dash and have the switches somewere in a place only you know but can get to easily...

Hop in, flip the switches and go, hop out, flip the switches and it STAYS...

Nobody pays attention to alarms anymore, unless they are messing with them..

I have seen strobes and interior sirens wired up to alarms to make them much more effective when it comes to someone stealing stuff though... would be easy to do in the work van also...
94' Astro AWD EXT W
Other rides:
03' Pontiac Vibe
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
The GF...

Topic author
Jared

Post by Jared »

I ave seen strobes and interior sirens wired up to alarms to make them much more effective when it comes to someone stealing stuff though...
Yep... but have you ever seen the vehicle smoke screens? Classic stuff.

http://www.smokemachines.net/buy-car-sm ... stem.shtml

As funny as the concept is, when I watched that video I realized that it can be effective too.

I will post a followup after I get the sub installed - but it will probably be a while due to the fact that I am moving out of my house this Sunday and have to live out of the van for 3 weeks until my new place is ready.
2000 Astro Cargo 2WD