Clear, Consise Brake Upgrade Instructions, please.

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Re: Clear, Consise Brake Upgrade Instructions, please.

Post by lockdoc »

Thanks a bunch!
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Nice details Skip....
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

i may be asking the obvious but please humor me........with the larger rear drums....they'll make the entire length of the rear end longer? therefore making the wheels stick out further as well.....am i correct?
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (spicy)
1961 Impala...gone but not forgotten.

http://www.propertystation.ca/

robertg
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by robertg »

Smiliesafari wrote:OK.......Here's the part numbers for the big brake upgrade.
Front calipers are Cardone rebuilds. Part numbers: 184122 & 184123. These calipers are used on about a dozen different Chevrolet trucks in the years 79 - 86.
Front disc pads are Wagner. Part number: SX 153
:D/
these calipers will fit on existing RWD vans?

if so.... :muhaha:
2000 Astro 4.3 A4- b&m transcooler/autometer trans temp gauge. 171k miles
1995 Astro 4.3 A4- generic flowmaster muffler. 239k miles

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

blk lt awd wrote:i may be asking the obvious but please humor me........with the larger rear drums....they'll make the entire length of the rear end longer? therefore making the wheels stick out further as well.....am i correct?
Nope. The drums are simply larger diameter. The wheels will not stick out any further.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

Front calipers are Cardone rebuilds. Part numbers: 184122 & 184123. These calipers are used on about a dozen different Chevrolet trucks in the years 79 - 86.
For you guys that have a van that is 10 years or older I would recommend you also change the brake hoses. They will be the stock hoses for your application.
The rear brakes consist of the backing plates and all related hardware from the mid 90's full size cars. Not all full size cars have the 11x2 brakes so take a tape measure. A couple of cars to look at would be the Chev Caprice sedan and station wagon. Police and taxi versions. And Buick Roadmasters. You might even go back to the 80's and look at the big Oldsmobiles.
The 11x2 shoes are Wagner. Part number: PAB 462.
The wheel cylinders are Wagner. Here you have an option of using either 7/8" or 1". It depends on how much weight you cary in your van. The Buick sedan uses the 7/8" and the station wagon uses the 1". I used the 1" because the "Smilievan" carries 800 - 900 lbs of ballooning equipment all the time. The part number for the 1" cylinders is: 51088. Both sides are the same. I hope this helps. It's well worth the effort. \:D/

Awesome, thanks! This is perfect.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

One small issue that isn't really an issue is the backing plates. There has been some confusion as to the packing plates being mirror image. By that I mean there is one for the left and another for the right. That use to be the case and may still be depending which car they come from. In an effort to save some money GM decided to make only one style backing plate. Both being the exact same piece. The only difference in hooking up everything is the location of the parking brake cable on the right side. On my Safari the parking brake cable was installed through the front of the backing plate. On the Buick backing plate the hole for the cable was in the rear. No problem. There was enough cable length to just switch it to the rear. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

LaGrasta wrote:
For you guys that have a van that is 10 years or older I would recommend you also change the brake hoses. They will be the stock hoses for your application.
The rear brakes consist of the backing plates and all related hardware from the mid 90's full size cars. Not all full size cars have the 11x2 brakes so take a tape measure. A couple of cars to look at would be the Chev Caprice sedan and station wagon. Police and taxi versions. And Buick Roadmasters. You might even go back to the 80's and look at the big Oldsmobiles.
The 11x2 shoes are Wagner. Part number: PAB 462.
The wheel cylinders are Wagner. Here you have an option of using either 7/8" or 1". It depends on how much weight you cary in your van. The Buick sedan uses the 7/8" and the station wagon uses the 1". I used the 1" because the "Smilievan" carries 800 - 900 lbs of ballooning equipment all the time. The part number for the 1" cylinders is: 51088. Both sides are the same. I hope this helps. It's well worth the effort. \:D/

Awesome, thanks! This is perfect.
LaGrasta, what would make this even more "concise" would be some pics of the swap/conversion if you go thru with it please and thanks.

P.S Thanks for all the parts #'s and info Skip :supz:

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

P.S Thanks for all the parts #'s and info Skip :supz:
yes i agree completely , thanx skip !!!

but one question , will this upgrade work on the 95 & 96 astro vans ?????? i see your sons was a 91 , not sure if the calipers were the same through the years especially with all the changes around 95 & 96 .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

i'm doing some x referencing....or trying to at this point to see if some aftermarket multi piston calipers would then bolt up in place of the larger single piston from the 3/4 ton. websites on the brake sites aren't making it easy.

also should be picking up an early/mid 90's roadmaster sedan within the next couple weeks. i'm hoping the rear brakes are the ones that will bolt up. getting it sight unseen so worst case i'll fix the steering pump and sell it if it doesn't. on a side note hoping it also has an LT-1 in it, even a 350 at least. 350 will go nicely into the astro or the LT-1 i can put into another project. anything but the 305.
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (spicy)
1961 Impala...gone but not forgotten.

http://www.propertystation.ca/

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Yes, Skippy, the same part number applies to your '96. I think the change comes into affect when the wheel bolt pattern was changed to six lugs. \:D/

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Thanx Skip !!! :supz: :supz: :supz:
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Xephius
I get chills without my van.

Post by Xephius »

Hey all,

I am working on wrapping up some of the loose ends on my van to get it running from the V8 conversions, and brakes are in that pile of "broken" items from the conversion.

So, the ABS no longer work because I lost the ECU ('95 V6 RWD Astro) that controlled it. I am adding a ECU ('95 TransAm LT1) that had ABS control, but for a different model. Because I am going to loose my ABS, I want to remove that massive clumsy box hanging under the Hydrobooster. Has anyone else removed that and gone back to a standard brake proportioning valve? I would like to remove the ABS controller this weekend, but don't know what to put back in its place. Anyone with a Non-ABS RWD able to help?
-=John=-
1995 Chevy Panel Wagon - Stillen Body Kit, 3" Drop, Rear Sway Bar, Billet Grille, 18" Wheels with Yokohama Wrappers. LT1- .060 Hyper Pistons, Blueprinted and balanced, all ARP, LT4 Hot Cam, 1.6:1 SS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Elderbrock Headers, PCM Tuned with LT4 Knock Module, Aeromotive AFPR, 2800 Stall, Hardened 4L60E, Posi 3.72:1 Diff
Getting:
100HP Shot Zex Wet Nitrous Kit.... Why? If you have to ask, you won't understand....

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I haven't done what you are contemplating. So this is a calculated guess. The ABS and proportioning valve are two separate systems. ABS modulates brake pressure according to wheel rpm. Proportioning valves apply pressure to the front brakes first so as to not lockup the rear brakes first causing the rearend of the vehicle to try to pass the front end. If your van has a separate proporationing valve you can keep it in place. It will work as it should. My 96 Safari has the proporationing valve as an integral part of the ABS unit. If yours is the same you will need a stand alone proporationing valve. One from an earlier van will work fine. I might add that you will be ahead of the game if you buy a new one. The major cause of proporationing valve failure is the crud that accumulates in them making the internal valves stick. They are not serviceable. Pay attention to how they are plumbed. \:D/

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

My `86 Cargo never came with abs, but when I upgraded to 11inch rear drums powered by hydro-boost and upgraded front calipers with the larger pad area, I used an adjustable Wilwood proportioning valve. This was back in `98 when I couldn`t get my rear Cadillac rotors, calipers and master, to work due to not enough fluid volume getting back to the rears.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc