Stroless...

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
chemist
I finally get the smurf thing

Stroless...

Post by chemist »

A sad week...

I'd like to thank all you for all of the help and this forum where I have been able to contribute the how-tos. But after looking at all my van's issues, I realized it needed much more time and money than I had to give it--catalytic converter (you guy's were right on that one), transmission (there were real tranny issue too), transfer case, rear diff, and most recently a nasty oil burning habit (engine issue). So with a tear in my eye, I let it go Teusday.

Make no mistake, if it had just one or two issues less, I'd have kept it. So, for the moment, I'm stroless until I have the funding to pick one up as a project vehicle, which in the future is likely.

What I replaced it with: 09 Silverado 1500 WT, ext cab, long bed, 4WD, manual t-case with heavy duty tow package. It's a nice truck, and I got an unbelievable deal on it because it's late in the year and I watched that same truck sit on a dealership lot for several months...but comes with a payment book. I'd rather have had the Astro with less issues and a title, but life doesn't always give you what you want... What I've got now will legally tow 7300# with WD hitch, 5000# with DW hitch and probably take whatever I put in the bed.

Still upsets me that I couldn't get an 09 Astro or a shorter express with read 4WD...at least what I got has a LOT of room under the hood when I start needing to fix it...

I still plan to be around though. Anyone needs to know something and I'm not on feel free to pm me--I get instant email notifications when you do.

Previous Vans: 1998 Astro, AWD, 138K mi; traded on 2003 Chevy Astro, AWD, 125K mi; traded on
2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT, 4x4, ext, long box
2007 Chevy Cobalt
1998 Maza MPV (180K mi and in need of PA inspection--only paid $500!)

Needed: a Gen 2 Astro project vehicle...

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Stroless...

Post by astroturf »

chemist, Sorry to see you stroless. I enjoyed reading your write ups. Stay in touch.

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

very sad day. especially on something so new with low miles 03 and an awd to boot Image

congrats on your new truck though. hopefully, it'll do ya well
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Thats a bummer, but there comes a time when ya gotta cut your losses. Your always welcome on the forum whether you got a stro or not, so make sure to stop by :cheers:

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Some times life kicks us hard ... just dont stay down :)
Have lots of fun with the truck I am sure you will put it to good use. In fact in the near future please get a flatbed so you can tow your dragster, an Astro / Safari :)
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Topic author
chemist
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by chemist »

Update: If someone can come up with a way to stick a new 5.3 L Vortec in an Astro, that would be very good. That new engine generates an unbelievable amount out horsepower. Truck doesn't know whether it's a workhorse or a track vehicle... The 5.7 is probably sufficient, but the 5.3 is getting better milage--sounds like project if someone is doing an engine swap and has the cash to put to it. You'd need the computer too, though. When I put it on stands, I'll let you know if the tranny is a 4L60E.

Previous Vans: 1998 Astro, AWD, 138K mi; traded on 2003 Chevy Astro, AWD, 125K mi; traded on
2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT, 4x4, ext, long box
2007 Chevy Cobalt
1998 Maza MPV (180K mi and in need of PA inspection--only paid $500!)

Needed: a Gen 2 Astro project vehicle...

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Sounds good chemist, Also sounds like you may have been down, but not out. Maybe that's the combo you will throw at your project 2nd gen astro. Keep us posted.