will 22"s fit pros/cons

FROM STOCK 15" STEELIES TO WILD 24" WHEELS, THEY GO HERE.

Topic author
rone&roxanne
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

will 22"s fit pros/cons

Post by rone&roxanne »

hi. i have 99 astro that i love , her name is roxanne, and ive been looking into getting her some new shoes.
something keeps telling me that "22's" would be unique and sexy. im just not sure of the problems that may come along with them. of course im hoping to "mount and roll" not wanting to do anything more than an alignmet if neccesary. i know there will be castor and camber issues from what i gather. anyway just wanted some feedback,pics,or whatever. i want the 22"s will settle for 20"s . its a rear wheel drive will post pics later because i just joined thanks. :heart:
"ROXANNE, ROXANNE... I WANNA BE YO' MAN"

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: will 22"s fit pros/cons

Post by ihatemybike »

I have no experience with huge rims myself, but I've seen 24"s stuffed in Astro wheel wells. A neighbor of mine had his Astro rolling on 20"s for a while, but it seemed that he was having one rim repaired a month due to hitting a pot hole or something. His van rarely had all four wheels matching.

I'd try to fined a shop that will test fit them before the purchase is made or maybe try one of those rim/wheel rental places.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Post by meetthespeakers »

While I have no experience with 22's, I'm rolling on 18x7's with 235's right now. Rears are straight forward, however the front it would occasionally rub on the little plastic piece on the rear of the front tire when at half turn if I remember correctly. Just needed to do a little trimming. I could see 20's being okay, but 22's.... What size tire/profile would be on that? Non the less, you could go 18's front, 20's rear, or 20's front, 22's rear, big little? Not sure about the speedometer issues if the 22's overall diameter is larger than stock. Anyway here is a shot with my 18's. I think the type of wheel can really effect the "look" of the size of the wheel. IE if it has a big lip, stepped lip, etc it can make the wheel look smaller than it is rather than thin spoke without a stepped lip can make it look bigger. Mine are 18's but to me they look like 17's because of the way the lip is rolled. Non the less I love them, give the perfect ride, handling, easy maintenance because of polished lip powder coated center. Okay rant over. Cheers!
1993 Astro, 1973 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1980 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

356redux
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 356redux »

They will fit no problem. Just the tires will be very skinny, so ride quality will suffer and need to be careful on potholes and speed bumps.