Need suggestion on speakers

ANYTHING RELATED TO AUDIO OR VIDEO SYSTEMS WHETHER STOCK OR AFTERMARKET.

Topic author
Clamster
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Need suggestion on speakers

Post by Clamster »

=D> First of "HOORAY" for the new board-I also had problems with viewing at AS. Looks as if many have followed and hopefully the AS will continue.
Anywho--I was hopeing someone here could recommend a pair of speakers to replace my stock {cracked-typical, aren't they all?} stock rear door speakers for my 1990 buggy. It has the factory stock radio {am-fm-cassette} and sounds fine up front but pretty much blown in back, even the pillar [upper corner] speakers sound cracked. Guess they were for high freqs?? I'm lookin' for something that will mount in the same position in the rear doors without alot of modification...preferably none. I'm not looking to spend a lot but want something reasonable in sound. Does anyone make a speaker that would adequately replace the door and pillar speakers in a single rear door mountable unit??? I've pulled the rear door panels before to have a look at the stock units {a real engineering feat for GM the way ya have to remove the door trim, pop out window handle etc..etc..seems to me they could have just had a pop off grill with the speaker nuts inside the door but then again they would probably fall off like the pillar grills )>) }. Tell me there is something reasonable out there. Also are the door speakers 4 or 8 ohm and what wattage should I be aware of considering its the stock as stink radio??
1990 Astro CS-Work buggy-Good body and frame for a 90 in Ohio-has possibilities.........course anythings possible--maybe not probable.

justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

i put a set of Dual 6" or 6.5" speakers in the rear door of my wifes 95 Safari. The cones in her old ones had fallen apart. They were about $25 at Best Buy and sound pretty good as a stock replacement.

Mounting them was a bit tough due to the way GM mounted the originals, but its possible.

I just put one of these in my 87 Safari to replace the dying Sony that was there.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Phase-Li ... tDetail.do
Its a really nice little unit for the price, and does the am/fm/cd/mp3 thing as well.
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)