JCWhitney Airsprings

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Re: JCWhitney Airsprings

Post by LaGrasta »

I've run this kit on my '98 for years and couldn't imagine not having it. They work great and I use them for hauling and towing every single time!

Two tips:
1. add a rear anti-sway bar, it will make a huge difference in the bounce and handling that the air bags create.

2. add the "T" as stated. I haven't done this as I wanted to be able to adjust mine side to side. I never, ever do this! I wish I had the "T" installed. I don't have the $100 on-board compressor, but that would be a nice addition too.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

When my Monro Maxair shocks wear out I will probably go with something like this, but that will be a few years at least.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

Everybody loves photos - so here are some - I had rear A/C so on the drivers side it was a little more difficult as the photos show - I had to move the lines, and add some rubber between the air spring bracket and rear A/C lines - I hope I don't spring a leak! That is a repair bill I do not want - I filled the bags to 40lbs and gained 1.5" of lift - I think my old springs however were letting me down. I figure she it up about 3/4" from stock with 40lbs of air and no trailer - figured I would test if I had a leak. I installed the air lines inside the wheel wells as you will be able to see on the photo's however I also used a 3/8" I.D. clear line to put the air lines into to prevent damage and ensure the rocks, etc would not damage the air lines. Thanks all before me who provided information and I hope these pictures will help someone in the future.

This is the drivers side mount with the rear A/C lines
Air Line to the rear drivers side protected by clear 3/8" I.D. line
Air Line to the rear Passenger side protected by clear 3/8" I.D. line

The van is bagged bring on the camping season - I am going to try to beat Lifted - put I probably will not with my young family - we hit 25 night last year - hope for the same this year - Kids are only 23 months and 3 weeks so out of season camping gets dicey. Best wishes all and hope this helps someone!
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

nice install, i like the extra precaution of the clear tubing.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

I like the clear tubing around the air lines as well. I wish I had thought of something like that when I put my Max-air shocks in. I guess I could do it now.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Nice install. Good luck trying to beat us. We are planning to do a LOT of camping this year. We are doing the last 3 weekends in May. :D
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Your pictures are great +3 for the clear tubing protection, good thinking !
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Great install and pics. Nice job.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

Ya this year there is no hope in achieving the most camping nights out.... The new little one, not to mention Alberta's typical fantastic spring/fall weather means a little less early and late season camping until the new little one puts on a few pounds.

So an update as far as driving impressions - the van actually drives nicer and has a little less bounce to it. Feels better to me.

I think my springs were a little weak/old in the first place, but running 40 lbs seems to put the van up a little bit from where it probably was new, but not up to high - I'll get a photo once I find some level ground somewhere, I could turn up the torsion bars in the front I guess to even it out, another 1/2" in the front would just about do it. But if memory serves that is going to move the alignment out of adjustment isn't it? I think I'll try 30 lbs and see how I like that first. Then of course ramp it up after I hook on the trailer.

Thanks to all those before me for the words of wisdom and the install photos.

Cheers! :canuk: :usa: :guitar: :cheers:

PS - Go Chicago Blackhawks - I just cannot bring myself to cheer for Vancouver - sorry Vancouver Strofarians - on the plus side - Go Montreal!
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta