Trailer Wiring Dutch Doors Question.

Topic author
peelers
I am merely driving my van

Trailer Wiring Dutch Doors Question.

Post by peelers »

I apologize if this question has already been posted. I searched but could not find anything. As a result, I'm posting up my dumb a.. question.

2000 Astro
Towing Package

I have owned this van for 6 years and have towed with it for the last 3 years. My question is, the wiring harness located in the jack stow area. The chevy owners manual states to simply open the dutch doors throw your wire harness out and slam the door shut. This is the chevy recommended way to run your wires to your trailer. I have been using this slam the wires in the door method for years and it has never felt like the right thing to do. My question is where is the best place to 'permanently' route your trailer wires? Thru the floor? Thank you.
2000 Astro AWD/Volant Cool Air Intake/Gibson Cat Back Exhaust/External Trans Cooler/3.73/Dog Kennel-Surf/Snow Mobber-Travel Trailer Puller-Machine --- AKA Vanessa

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Trailer Wiring Dutch Doors Question.

Post by mdmead »

I could never find any trailer wiring on my '96 Conversion, so when I made my own, I actually ran my wires down through the area where the rear tail lights are. It's been years since I did it, but if you pull out a tail light, I bet you can figure a routing. (I think I ended up drilling a hole inside there somewhere.)

In the end I have a loose pigtail that rides up under the back bumper. When I needed it, I just reached up and pulled it out. Stuffed it back up in when done. (Mine is a flat four wire. It would have been easy enough to mount an RV plug, but I didn't need it.)
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
peelers

Post by peelers »

ahh.. pull a tail light out... i like that.. i'll pop one out and have a look.

Thank you! :guitar:
2000 Astro AWD/Volant Cool Air Intake/Gibson Cat Back Exhaust/External Trans Cooler/3.73/Dog Kennel-Surf/Snow Mobber-Travel Trailer Puller-Machine --- AKA Vanessa

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

I remember my 95 had a slight indentation along the sill right where the weatherstripping was cut, this allowed the doors to be closed with no worries of pinching the wire.

unrreal
I get chills without my van.

Post by unrreal »

peelers i got a 99 and there is a hole in the jack storage area all the way down in that little corner underneath the tail light all you need is a set of needle nose pliers to grab the wires from outside the van and pull them trough... and this hole is there from factory i found it while i was under the van one day and i ran my wires trough there....
99 astro awd ls package, 3" bodylift, alarm system w/remote start, tinted windows, tranny cooler, modded air intake, bigger power steering cooler, hood struts, westin pushbar, hypertech tuned running on 91 octane, Hypertech 160* thermostat, 1 ton calipers and pads (not much of a difference as i expected)30" tall tires 245-65-17 on jeep wheels
here is a link to my pics: http://s795.photobucket.com/home/unrreal/allalbums

Topic author
peelers

Post by peelers »

Sweet! Thanks unreal. I'll give that a look tonight. Thank you. :cheers:

unrreal

Post by unrreal »

no problem bud, and here are the pics for reference...
Attachments
IMG00796.jpg
IMG00794.jpg
IMG00795.jpg
99 astro awd ls package, 3" bodylift, alarm system w/remote start, tinted windows, tranny cooler, modded air intake, bigger power steering cooler, hood struts, westin pushbar, hypertech tuned running on 91 octane, Hypertech 160* thermostat, 1 ton calipers and pads (not much of a difference as i expected)30" tall tires 245-65-17 on jeep wheels

unrreal

Post by unrreal »

and the ones from the bottom...
Attachments
IMG00798.jpg
IMG00797.jpg

Topic author
peelers

Post by peelers »

Wow. Great pictures. Thank you. I really do appreciate it. :cheers: