Valve Noise?

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO HOW YOUR VAN RUNS. IF IT BOGS, HESITATES, BACKFIRES OR JUST PLAIN RUNS LIKE CRAP...THIS IS THE PLACE FOR IT!

Topic author
OlsonCustoms
I am merely driving my van

Valve Noise?

Post by OlsonCustoms »

New to the forum, lots of great info here .... ive got a 95 astro with the 4.3 vin W and its starting to sound like the rockers on the pass side are clattering?? runs ok still and have not tore into her to investigate, any advice or similar issues that yall know of?? thanks for any help , part of me wants the 4.3 to die so i can justify the V8 swap but its just so darn dependable now. :usa:

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Valve Noise?

Post by 1Gary »

Pull the dog house and sound it out with a long medal rod to your ear.See if you can get a better idea where it is coming from.Overall the roller valve train is not normally a issue.What kind of oil pressure are you seeing??.I didn't see where you posted how many miles are on it.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

NotDadsW41
I sleep in my van

Post by NotDadsW41 »

CD_S
1991 W41
1995 Astro - Now gone, I am Astroless.
1997 C1500
1989 9C1 Caprice
1997 Bonneville
1998 Olds 88 LS
http://forums.b-body.org - newly updated!

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

I would doubt it's your rocker arms, more than likely it's the lifters that have failed. You can put new ones in but then I would sell it asap. Probably time for a rebuild or a V8.

Peter

Topic author
OlsonCustoms

Post by OlsonCustoms »

107k with 50psi cold, 20 warm and it jumps to 40 when driven, I will scope the thing out this is my first 4.3 thanks for the info....glad to hear the valve train is dependable, the last engine i built was my ford 427 FE for my 65 comet A/FX clone....... a big block ford in an astro???? MMMMMMM.

Topic author
OlsonCustoms

Post by OlsonCustoms »

Got this thing for a steal...0$ after three diferent shops could not get it to run... one spider unit later and shes my daily driver...... just something about driving a rig that you are only into for$250 that makes me smile.....

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

NotDadsW41 wrote:Spend $5 for this: http://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics- ... 41966.html
Oh man,now you go high tech on me. :heart: #-o :muhaha: Just thought if he had a pc of threaded rod,he could use that.Then use the $5.00 on Mac Donald's value meal. :yawinkle:

I'll wait for him to sound it out.

Oh,I owned a new dual quad 427 Galaxy 500 four speed stick when I was a kid in partner ship with a high school friend.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
OlsonCustoms

Post by OlsonCustoms »

Thanks for the tips, had my wife 3/4 throttle the thing in drive with the brake on and came to the conclusion that its a slight the exaust leak on the pass manifold, guess im just used to listening to big block and stroker fords and chevys too...... man it sounds different in the driver seat :-k and she decided to power brake it afterwards gotta love tire smoke from a Astro especially when a woman is drivin'

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

My ex-wife drove my hotrod at 3/4 throttle with the brake on, but not in the exciting fun way that yours did, it was more in a smelly not so fun kind of way.
Nice bikes by the way, and welcome to the site.

Peter