old faithful=no start.

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO YOUR VAN NOT STARTING OR STARTING HARD IN HERE.

Topic author
GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

old faithful=no start.

Post by GnarliSafari »

for starters my computer is toast so i am at work and may not get on here again for a bit. anyways my van has had some issues that ive slowly been addressing in the last six months or so, ive also been doing a lot of body work to it when the weather permits. long story short i havent driven it in at least six months until last week. i was re-welding my exhaust and had it completely off at the manifolds. i was charging my battery at this same time, once the battery was charged i decided to see if she would fire up, it did no problem really. i then realized it had very little gas and figured the gas station is less than a mile so why not... it had little power due to the lack of exhaust back pressure but seemed to run fine. i also had to go into town to get one more piece of tubing for my exhaust but i took my truck for that. got home it was dark and the next couple days rained. finally had one nice day finished welding and bolted my exhaust back up but it would not start for some reason, i could hear the fuel pump, it was turning over but just wouldnt start. i happened to have a spare fuel filter so i changed it out but still nothing. my only thought is that running it with no 02 sensors could have fouled up my spark plugs to the point of no ingnition. sorry if this is hard to follow but does anyone have any thoughts? i am about to replace the injectors in my truck and need to get this thing running for at least a week. it never had problems in the past, but its been sitting for a while now so...
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: old faithful=no start.

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

First things first...replace the cap and rotor and then possibly the wires and plugs.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

v8famvan
I sleep in my van

Re: NOT so old faithful=no start.

Post by v8famvan »

3 things needed to run: Air - Fuel - Spark.
It is unlikely to be air, which leave fuel & spark.
Before proceeding to the distributor cap & rotor route as Dean has suggested .... add some fuel.
Do this by simply spraying some fuel (flammable liquid like brake cleans) into the throttle body or air intake snorkel.
Crank the engine & see what happens.
If it fires/sputters/coughs or runs, you will know that the ignition system is working & that the fuel system is the source of the problem.
James from B.C.
1992 Safari - R.I.P.
GM Grand Master Techncian

Topic author
GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Re: old faithful=no start.

Post by GnarliSafari »

well, i let it sit for two days thinking i might have flooded it, went out on saturday and it fired up first try. now it starts up everytime like it always has. i eliminated my cat, re-welded a couple problem spots on my exhaust and replaced the manifold to y-pipe gaskets and so far the SES light hasnt come on. it sounds far healthier than it has and seems to have re-gained some power.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.