Firewall plug differences 96 to 01

USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY ELECTRICAL QUESTIONS SUCH AS WIRE COLOR CODES, BLOWING FUSES OR WIRING SHORTS.

Topic author
willyguyver
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Firewall plug differences 96 to 01

Post by willyguyver »

My daily driver, a 96 GMC Safari was slowly dying, all but the engine and trans. I found on craigslist a 2001 in cherry condition, minus the engine and trans for $400 so I jumped on it. I am transplanting the 96 engine, computer and wiring harness into the 2001 body and have run into some major snaggs.

I REALLY REALLY need wiring diagrams that include the firewall plugs for both vans. Or a Pin Breakout Diagram for the plugs. I can tell there are some differences in the wiring, but with the right information I can bring my baby back to life.
I am an electronics and radar technician in the US Navy so reading any kind of schematic is no problem.

Some one, any one please help bring my monster back to life.

Thanks
Willyguyver
P.S. You can reply to my email is you want, its willyguyver@gmail.com

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Firewall plug differences 96 to 01

Post by CaptSquid »

EEK!!!! A Twidget! :yikes:
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

v8famvan
I sleep in my van

Re: Firewall plug differences 96 to 01

Post by v8famvan »

There is a huge amount of wiring diagrams involved in the circuits that you indicate that you are tackling. For example, there is 13 wiring diagrams for the engine controls alone on the 2001. (& then there is other systems involved in those circuits ...)
IMO, It would likely be easier to transplant the 1996 engine & then use the wiring harness & computer from the 2001 to 'upgrade' it to match ..... unless you do not have the harness & computer from the '01?

You could narrow it down with some specifics about which particular connectors you are looking for. That I can help out with easier.
James from B.C.
1992 Safari - R.I.P.
GM Grand Master Techncian