Disable AWD

FROM AWD'S TO 2-SPEED MANUAL SHIFT, IF IT LINKS THE REAR AXLE TO THE FRONT AXLE, POST IT HERE.

johnny
I am merely driving my van

Re: Disable AWD

Post by johnny »

I guess I should mention what it is doing. when it is put into reverse there is a loud CLUNK coming from the T-case where the front shaft connects, The yolk is loose, but the CLUNK really seems like it is coming from inside the T-case, It is not likely to be the chain because it is ALL highway KMS, used for delivering mail....359000 kms translates to about 199000 miles. if I pull the front shaft will I be able to move? or will I just lose the parking gear?...
oh, by the way
it's mint...other than the T-case

johnny

Post by johnny »

I just pulled the fuse..no change still getting the CLUNK when i put it in reverse, I am guessing that would be because of the worn out clutch pack in the T-case?

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

PM sent.

It sounds like the chain is stretched and worn. If the previous owner never changed the fluid it was past due 100k ago! Check all the drive shaft u-joints and if they are good, I would look for a good used transfer case as it would be expensive to rebuild. The NV-136 case you have was only found in the Astro and Safari vans from 1999 to 2005. I don't think you can pull the front shaft as it does not have a fixed yoke and the fluid will leak out.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

johnny

Post by johnny »

I confirmed through the dealer where the vehicle was bought, and it does in fact have the viscous transfer case. I was able to pull the front shaft. the clutch pack in the transfer case is seized together. making it locked in 4wheel drive..I am kinda liking the way it performs like a posi track now

woodhick

Post by woodhick »

Hi all - I had a related follow-up question. I just bought a 2002 Astro to replace my 1995 which I will miss greatly. My 1995 seems to be having transfer case problem, but I could live with 2WD on it. Does anyone know if I can simply pull the fuse and use the van in 2WD? Thanks.

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

On '99s and up, you can pull the "ATC" fuse to disable the AWD with no ill effects. This will prevent the transfer case from engaging. However, the front drive assembly will remain in motion because the hubs are permanently locked so you won't see any fuel economy savings. What kind of issues are you having? Maybe we can help you out.

If you still have the 1995, the AWD is mechanical, not electronic so no fuse. You'd have to remove the front driveshaft, and from what I understand, this could damage bearings and "Park" will no longer stop the vehicle.

woodhick

Post by woodhick »

I still have the 1995 - and I guess I am going to make some moves to get rid of it as we now have the 2002. Its symptoms were occasional 'slips' or knocks when increasing speed. Gear shifting always seemed solid. The slips would happen when in the same gear. Anyway the 1995 has failed power options no a/c anymore. Its time has come - BUT I hate to abandon this van in a way. We have been through a lot. That probably sounds weird but I am an Astro owner right?

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

woodhick wrote:I still have the 1995 - and I guess I am going to make some moves to get rid of it as we now have the 2002.
What shape is the body in? I need a nice AWD van for next winter. If you do decide to sell...post it here first.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

woodhick

Post by woodhick »

It will be a little longer but I will be sure to post it here... Thanks, Doug