Transfer case swap to a 2 speed - manual shift

FROM AWD'S TO 2-SPEED MANUAL SHIFT, IF IT LINKS THE REAR AXLE TO THE FRONT AXLE, POST IT HERE.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Transfer case swap to a 2 speed - manual shift

Post by doyoulikeithere »

I'm thinking about the reports of sudden pulling, when you drive onto the pavement from the snow on a highway. I've never sat in stock 4wd S10, so I don't know. In the old days when we had to get out of our trucks and lock the hubs, there was always a warning sticker in the cab somewhere that said loud and clear, 'do not drive on pavement in 4wd'. So, I wonder if the Stock S10 4x4s from the same era as our vans have a warning like that in their cab or owners manuals? I think they might, but would love to know for sure.... I only ever put my van in 4wheel on dirt roads, if I need to. I never drive it on pavement in 4whl even if it is partially covered with snow or slush. After all, there is a difference between all and 4 wheel drive for some reason... I always found that it steers better on slippery snow in 2wd anyways, unless i really need 4wd to not be stuck. There is one time I will use 4wd on pavement, and thats at the boat launch! 4Lo is sure nice there... The stock astro AWD on a snowy highway is a totally different story, and handles awesome, it just doesnt have lo range, or 2wd. So pick your driving needs and build for what you want to do. Most people have an auto trans, so my van is a bit hard to use as comparison for some things. Good luck man with your project!
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

doyoulikeithere wrote:there is a difference between all and 4 wheel drive for some reason..
Part-time 4WD doesn't allow speed differentiation between front and rear wheels.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

timelessbeing wrote:
doyoulikeithere wrote: =; "with a hint of sarcasm..." there is a difference between all and 4 wheel drive for some reason..
Part-time 4WD doesn't allow speed differentiation between front and rear wheels.
Exactly why I don't think those guys should have had it locked into 4wd doing 50 on the interstate...Of course it will not like jumping off the snow onto pavement, even, or especially with only one wheel.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

lol. I keep saying it. We need a sarcasm smiley.

krsowles
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by krsowles »

In all my years of plowing and probably 20 plow trucks and loaders, I've never heard 4wd trucks slightly different between front and rear end gearing! Learning even more here! That would explain my loader operator trying to explain why the awd loader doesn't handle like a truck(aside from a few more obvious reasons!). We just figured he was hiding something special in his coffee. I have always had 2/4wd trucks with a couple of old school vw rabbits fwds. I confess, I liked the fwd! I learned and drove my parents big old dinosaur rear wheel drives and 80% of my plowing at least is 2wd. They don't bother me. That being said, seems like everyone agrees I don't need it, not going to save me fuel and if I drive it enough will learn to love awd. For once in my life I'll take the smart route and not swap it out, Can't believe it, friends won't believe it and my parents are rolling in thier graves! I also believe the 3.42s gotta go. Going to go 4.10s for the larger wheels. Thanks again for setting me straight!

:toimonster: again, my 5yo!
Sometimes, I realize that I'm clueless...Man, I hate those moments!
"S.S. Dark HoMutt"

1999 Chevy Astro AWD
1991 Chevy Astro AWD(retired)

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

You can always put in the two speed later if you find you want it. While you have the rearend apart for gearing you may want to consider putting in a locker or limited slip diff.
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

krsowles
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by krsowles »

Now that you mention it, with all the $ I'm saving not doing the TC, that should most definately happen! Again, thanks for pointing out my lack of forethought(sp?). New can of worms, what's the best locker in peoples opinions? We don't need any argueing kids, just opinions. It will give me more knowledge as I'm scrounging around. My choice will end up value-based to cost, if that makes sense. Not cheapest but best value! Thanks
Sometimes, I realize that I'm clueless...Man, I hate those moments!
"S.S. Dark HoMutt"

1999 Chevy Astro AWD
1991 Chevy Astro AWD(retired)

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

The Detroit Truetrac has come highly recommended to me. Other then that I have no opinion based on experience....
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Yep trutrac is very versatile. The Torsen Cobra has is pretty much the same thing.

Topic author
LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I also loved the TrueTrac I put in the SPB. My 2003 Ram 2500 has the same style posi in the rear and it works awesome. If cost is a bigger factor, look for a used Gov-Loc locker that was stock in these vans and S-10's.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

If the Truetrac works as well as my Torsen has you won't be disappointed i've never used one though
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Cobra

I was wondering about your Zexel diff. I've been researching and found there to be a few different types; T2 and the T2R. Do you know what you have? The T2 apparently has less torque biasing than the TrueTrac, the T2R (using clutches to preload the worm gears) has more.

Just curious as I'm currently shopping around. Whichever you have, you like how it works off highway? Also wondering what gears you are running as I have read in some cases 4.10 won't fit? I guess this should be a different thread.....
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

sorry it took so long to respond if it still matters i have a T2 with 3.42 final gear. I don't see why the 4.10 shouldn't fit the carrier supposedly can handle them and is the exact same as the stock one. I have been extremely happy with it on and off highway i haven't encountered any "real" snow but what i've had to deal with so far even stomping on the gas pretty hard in snow gets me moving pretty quickly. Its a shame winter has been so mild here i wanted to really play with the new diff. I would definitely purchase another if the need arises and if i can figure out how to get one for the front diff i'll do it too :muhaha:
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone