Replacing reading lamps, preferably with LED

USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY ELECTRICAL QUESTIONS SUCH AS WIRE COLOR CODES, BLOWING FUSES OR WIRING SHORTS.

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Replacing reading lamps, preferably with LED

Post by photo_van »

I'm wanting to replace the ceiling console reading (directional) bulbs with LCD. I've popped out the lens but can't seem to get a hold of the small bit of bulb to pull it out. Anyone ever replace these? Also any suggestions about what LED bulbs to use? I did a search and there are 1m different kinds.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Replacing reading lamps, preferably with LED

Post by MountainManJoe »

Take out the reflector first, and then the bulb should come out easily.

I'm looking into replacing mine as well. I think I'll use these 1W LEDs. Maybe 3W if it doesn't get too hot.

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

LEDs (Light Emitting Diode) don't get hot; they're cool to the touch. You can even mount them directly to the lens itself.

LCDs (Liquid Crystal Display) harken back to the days of the early digital watches and calculators. Remember the red numbers?

Go to SuperBrightLEDs.com; the staff are extremely helpful and will recommend what lights for which applications. The prices are fairly reasonable, too.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Thanks for the replies! Oops, LCD, slip of the tongue!

Thanks Mike for the link: the 168 replacement bulbs are what I was looking at. If these people know which one is the most suitable for the application I'll definitely buy from them.
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

FACT:
* LEDs get hot. Not as hot as incandescent or halogen bulbs, but they do get hot. The more output, the hotter they get.
* The LED dies are very small, so that heat is concentrated in a very small area.
* LED's are very sensitive. Overheating will drastically reduce their lifetime and light output.
* High power LEDs need cooling. Any LED 1W or more that is on all the time should be mounted to a heat dissipative surface.

Don't take my work for it. Go to Ikea or whatever and touch them. LED lightbulbs... you may have heard of them. Just take a look at the cooling fins on 'em...

VanGoGo
I get chills without my van.

Post by VanGoGo »

I changed all the interior bulbs to LED a while back, they seem to have contact problems...flickering, dimness, not coming on at all, etc. The contacts look clean and I never had any issues with the stock bulbs, now I always have to mess with them. I have no idea why these are such a pain. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience. =P
"BOYCOTT AUTOZONE!"

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

VanGoGo wrote:I changed all the interior bulbs to LED a while back, they seem to have contact problems...flickering, dimness, not coming on at all, etc. The contacts look clean and I never had any issues with the stock bulbs, now I always have to mess with them. I have no idea why these are such a pain. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience. =P
Sorry to hear that. I have been considering these as well but havent heard many reviews yet. Where did you buy your bulbs?
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

I'm not sure about your flickering problem. Maybe they are just really crappy Chinese LEDs.

The dimness is a common problem. Your van typically operates at two voltages: ~12.5V with ignition off, and ~14.4V with ignition on and alternator charging the battery. LED's are very picky about voltage. You can either design your bulb (by choosing certain resistor values) to operate with optimum brightness at 12V, in which case it will be overdriven with ignition on, and will suffer a short lifespan. Or you can design it to operate at 14V, in which case it will look dim when the ignition is off. Or you can pay more for a bulb with an internal voltage regulator.

VanGoGo
I get chills without my van.

Post by VanGoGo »

I bought the bulbs online from HIDxenonlights. They managed to screw up the order twice, and the bulbs are crap.
"BOYCOTT AUTOZONE!"