rear discs?

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

Topic author
suicide86
I am merely driving my van

rear discs?

Post by suicide86 »

Has anyone done a swap from drums to discs ?Im looking and wondering whether to get one off of an newer astro or another car that came with discs and the same bolt pattern/rear end?HELP!
86 safari.
stock floor bodydrop,suicided doors,front end swap.Shaved all doors,tags,slider track,gas filler,liscence plate.Frenched box.
soon-22/24 wheels,350,paint and alot more

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

maybe someone else can jump in but i read somewhere the early 90's caprice/impala discs work with some work.....for an aftermarket solution SSBC makes a rear conversion kit.
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (spicy)
1961 Impala...gone but not forgotten.

http://www.propertystation.ca/

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

May want to get with Darren on the disc issues. He's tried it and had some problems, tried several different size lines, valves and master cyl's but never was happy with the set up.'
I've got the Vette disc on mine with no problems but I don't have any time or miles to speak of on mine yet to really know if I'll have any problems.
On the bolt pattern I had to go with 1.5 thick 4.75 to 5 on 5 adapters after centering the dif. and have no issues but watch them pretty close on torque.
Man,,this shot was a lifetime ago. lol
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I swapped out to discs in the rear of my 98. The axle is a Dana 60 and the discs and calipers are from a 1975 K20 truck. I removed the ABS controller as well as the combination valve. I then had to add an adjustable proportioning valve from summit racing. I now have so much rear braking force, it'll lock up the 33's with ease and wears a set of pads out in 5,000 miles or less ](*,) ! I have no issues with volume or force...TOO much in fact!
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

If you are really on a mission to have rear disc brakes, try investigating older Lincoln rear discs with Cadillac rear calipers and pads (they have a cable e-brake)

You will have to make your own brackets and possibly change the brake lines for a larger diameter.

The problem that you will encounter is getting enough fluid volume to get the rear calipers to brake effeciently.

BTDT, then swapped to 11 inch rear brakes, Hydroboost and 3/4 ton pickup front pads to stop on a dime.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Once you get the hydro boost setup from a 98 or newer, you will have plenty of fluid volume and pressure. I Used 3/4 ton truck calipers in the rear and I have the adjustable proportioning valve turned all the way down (47% decrease in pressure) and I still have way more rear braking than front.

If you look a 2003 to 2005 Astro's setup, you will have a good basis for what parts you will need to convert your 86 to 4 wheel discs.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

giezy

Post by giezy »

If you look a 2003 to 2005 Astro's setup, you will have a good basis for what parts you will need to convert your 86 to 4 wheel discs.[/quote]

I had a 90 rear apart and the housing ends on the older vans are smaller and the caliper bracket will not fit.

And what 3/4 ton pads do I need for a two and are they a caliper that will be better for the front?
formally aladagie on AS.com but have new adition to the family so changed to new name.

Jinmajay
I sleep in my van

Re: rear discs?

Post by Jinmajay »

Did anyone say they have heard of the SSB kithttp://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com/pro ... &year=1994 found here? seems kinda pricy.
The Tran man http://jayjensen.shutterfly.com/action/

1994 AWD GMC Safari, V8 truck van project
1998 2WD Astro
1999 AWD Astro