Improve gas mileage

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Improve gas mileage

Post by dunedog »

oxegen sensor (before cat) should be changed ever 60,000 miles or so, I was told recently, and I bet not many of us do it!!!
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

sportbud
I am merely driving my van

Post by sportbud »

BG 44K safely, rapidly and thoroughly removes engine deposits in combustion chambers, intake manifolds, ports and on valves. It restores flow in fuel injectors and cleans the entire fuel system. BG 44K improves fuel economy and reduces exhaust emissions. It restores that "like new" driveability to an engine's performance and keeps it running better, longer and more efficiently. Add one can or bottle to fuel tank at fill up. Catalytic converter and oxygen sensor safe.

Its not your average snake oil,most dealerships and reputable repair facilities sell this and other BG products because they work.

SnoDrtRider
I get chills without my van.

Post by SnoDrtRider »

dunedog wrote:oxegen sensor (before cat) should be changed ever 60,000 miles or so, I was told recently, and I bet not many of us do it!!!
Have one for my van... just need to put it in before my trip.

BTW
NAPA was cheapest to get it locally @ $40 for a direct fit plug & play (No wire crimping) AZ wanted $56 for the universal.

I have never gotten over 13 MPG so I'll check carefully on this trip with the new sensor.

till

Post by till »

raSafari wrote:I do a lot of long distance driving (x-country type trips) and I write down every single gas fill-up. This not only keeps your brain focused on what kind of gas mileage you're getting, but if the mileage suddenly drops, you've just gotten your first heads up that something is wrong under the hood.

From all my scrawlings, I'm averaging around 14-18 mpg with a 4+" lift, 31" tires and a roof box for all our gear (Read: roof box = :toimonster: for gas mileage)

A Cruise Control tip: When approaching long hills, slip her out of cruise mode, otherwise she'll downshift three gears and you go from 16mpg at 65mph to 4mpg. like everyone above said, easy does it when driving a dumpster with a steering wheel.

Food for thought: I recently added a Volant Cold-Air intake and noticed great results in HP & uphill driving, but I can't say I noticed more than +1 MPG. Maybe others have had better results?

I love this!! A dumpster with a steering wheel. :supz: I have found a name for my van, the dumpster.

now back to your regular programing.....
Tedd ILL
2000 Astro LS (4th owner starting at 152000)
Easy does when driving a dumpster with a steering wheel.

IT Astro

Post by IT Astro »

Hey ya'll, So i currently have stock tires and suspension and driving around down I get between 16 and 17 mpg, but on road trips driving around the Rockies at 85 mph I usually get between 19 and 20 mpg, and that is with a lot of extra weight, four people and a roof box, I generally drive pretty aggressively and I am stocked with the fuel economy i get.

But now my tires are all used up and I am thinking about adding the OLV 4" lift and 235/70 R15 (BFG at's maybe) tires and was wondering if anyone had done the same update and recorded the change in MPG? thanks alot
2000 Astro AWD

crazyvanman
I get chills without my van.

Post by crazyvanman »

Man i love my old van! I do cross country trips about 3 times a month since i left home on July 31st 2006. Never use odometer;only use the trip meter.
My last trip from FL. to Cali. i had to scale it because of load. She was 123 lbs below max on front axel, 75 lbs below max on rear axel, and 35 lbs below the 2500 lb trailer max. And even with the roof top carrier full and my 17 ft canoe on top i was able to get as high as 25 mpg just by putting the cruise control at 60 and letting her do all the work. The over all trip netted a 21 mpg average.
91 Astro EXT; never liked GM till i stumbled into this van. Free just for dragging it out of a field. Ran like a scalded cat, had 53K miles and completely rusted out brake lines. Been all over North America, lots of fire roads and no roads; fully loaded and towing constantly. Average 21 mpg. I recently (by accident) found out she now has 265,886.4 miles without so much as a tuneup, and only 1 oil change. And still no leaks. MAN I LOVE THIS VAN !

!994 Safari AWD