brake job... which brands of parts to get?

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

Topic author
sonic reducer
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

brake job... which brands of parts to get?

Post by sonic reducer »

Hi,
I'm about to do a brake job on my '00 awd cargo, 5 lug. I want to get everything at one time at rockauto.com but they have so damn many brands and price levels I don't know where to start. I'd rather not get the cheap crap but don't want to go for the most expensive stuff either if I don't have to. I'd just like some advice on where the money is best spent when doing the job. also if there are parts that are good to replace at the same time any advice on that would be much appreciated too.
I do plan to flush the fluid at the same time too, probably beforehand so I dont get it on the new stuff.

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: brake job... which brands of parts to get?

Post by WoodButcher »

I find the midgrade stuff to work just fine provided there is a warranty of sorts on the parts. Be sure to have a good look around while you're under there, clean and grease every joint and as for the brakes check the rotors and axle bearings, clean and grease the pins that hold the caliper and check the flexible line for any signs of wear or decay. They have a habit of decaying on the inside and clogging the works so if the outside shows any signs of age change them out. Your also looking for ridges on the caliper pistons so look at that before you compress them to reinstall. Rust lines can be cleaned with wd40 and a wet / dry sandpaper of 320 grit or so.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

ACDelco has a good reputation with Astros, so anytime I buy from Rockauto I get the ACDelco parts, brakes are important! Are you replacing pads, calipers, rotors, all of the above?

Several months ago I had commented on how I noticed the rear calipers installed on my van by the previous owner were both left calipers on my van (which put the bleeder valve upside down on one side). I ordered new calipers and Rockauto sent me 2 of the same, cooincidence, or is this how the calipers are for Gen2?....so I am not sure what the deal is with the rear calipers, if you are replacing them I would love a pic of the rears before you install them, I mean what are the odds rockauto sent the same wrong part that the previous owner used, I am starting to think that is just how they are.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

That's too crazy. I've never seen a bleeder anywhere but on the top. As far as brake parts....I always buy the best. The consequences of failed brakes can be fatal.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

chesehd
I get chills without my van.

Post by chesehd »

RockAuto has let me down in the past, also.

I received a 1st gen fuel pump (square plug) for my '03. A previous owner had installed a cheapo sending unit that didn't have a working fuel gauge so I had the new plug. Inside the sending unit package was the return slip from the previous buyer with complete name, address & phone number. I called RA, complained that they had sent me an obsolete part and I was unable to use it due to the wrong connector. They told me I asked for the wrong part (no...I didn't) and tried to deny my returning it.

I got my money back but I'm not so sure I'd use RockAuto for more than a comparison anymore. I sent them a copy of the recall/campaign on that model of sending unit plug back with the previous buyer's shipping label. Both of which were inside the original package, just like I received it. Hopefully, RA would have checked it out upon receiving. Realistically, RA's returns dept. will just send it back out to another, unsuspecting victim. Hopefully, my note will still be in the package.

Arrgh! #-o
Ken

2003 AWD
Back in the saddle on a new horse!

A lot of money is tainted: 'Taint yours, and 'taint mine.