Possible alternator replacement....

Battery, alternator, starter, cables, etc.

Topic author
crazyvanman
I get chills without my van.

Possible alternator replacement....

Post by crazyvanman »

My 94 Safari has started displaying some interesting symptoms i am assuming are probably alternator related. But since i have never even heard of them i was hoping one of you more experienced mechanics can help me not dig a hole for myself.
A brief note; the battery was dead when i picked up the van. I put a trickle charger on it for a few hours. She then started right up and ran well. But overnight i had to charge it again to get it started. Since then i have put a new battery in; and now have noticed the volt meter gauge wiggles back and forth just under 14 volts; and all the lights;dash head lights tail lights etc. Strobe while she is running. I haven't turned the key for just over two weeks, till today. Fired right up seemed to run ok but dash lights still strobing.
Any pointers? :-k :peep:
91 Astro EXT; never liked GM till i stumbled into this van. Free just for dragging it out of a field. Ran like a scalded cat, had 53K miles and completely rusted out brake lines. Been all over North America, lots of fire roads and no roads; fully loaded and towing constantly. Average 21 mpg. I recently (by accident) found out she now has 265,886.4 miles without so much as a tuneup, and only 1 oil change. And still no leaks. MAN I LOVE THIS VAN !

!994 Safari AWD

snapper388
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Re: Possible alternator replacement....

Post by snapper388 »

first thing I would check is the body ground.

VanGoGo

Post by VanGoGo »

My dash also went nuts and strobed when my alternator died, I found a puddle of solder under the alternator when I changed it...alternator had a melt down.
"BOYCOTT AUTOZONE!"

Topic author
crazyvanman

Post by crazyvanman »

Checked ground seem to be a solid connection, so i believe i will r&r the alternator just for grins. What is available as a high output upgrade? That is also a straight swap if possible. :peep:
91 Astro EXT; never liked GM till i stumbled into this van. Free just for dragging it out of a field. Ran like a scalded cat, had 53K miles and completely rusted out brake lines. Been all over North America, lots of fire roads and no roads; fully loaded and towing constantly. Average 21 mpg. I recently (by accident) found out she now has 265,886.4 miles without so much as a tuneup, and only 1 oil change. And still no leaks. MAN I LOVE THIS VAN !

!994 Safari AWD

Topic author
crazyvanman

Post by crazyvanman »

VanGoGo; i noticed your signature. You in the Barstow area? I have been a fan of AutoZone for awhile because most of their countermen were car guys and even some mechanics. But the store i found in Barstow has completely shook my confidence in them. So i tried Napa and the were out of stock on customer service.
However i am beginning to think it is a regional thing since i have shopped in nearly every Home Depot outside of New Emgland. but this one sucks. :peep:

!994 Safari AWD

Topic author
crazyvanman

Post by crazyvanman »

Read on another thread that it is a good ideal to r&r the idler bearing and tensioner bearing at the same time.
135K miles so are there any other common problem areas i may want to r&r while i have this other stuff out of the way. Probably do a couple hoses while i am at it just to make some room anyway. :peep:

!994 Safari AWD

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Hey Man !
Is your accessory bracket made of steel or aluminum?
I had an alternator failure in my 95, with the aluminum accessory brackets.
Once I got to pulling out the old alternator, I noticed it wasnt tracking properly with the belt.
It was sitting in the mount weird. After pulling it out, I saw the accessory Bracket was cracked.
Got another one at the salvage yard and a new alternator too. Badda Bing !
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

VanGoGo

Post by VanGoGo »

Hey CrazyVanMan, I was in Boise ID when I got grief from Autozone. I purchased swaybar bushings, I installed one side, then noticed the one I purchased for the other side was completely different, and did not fit. When I took it back they denied it being their part and would not swap or refund (which was only a couple bucks). I explained they would lose all my business by not fixing the situation, which again was only a couple bucks. When Ive told the story to friends, they have had similar experiences or seen them doing that to other customers in the store.
Back to the topic...excellent suggestion on changing the idler tensioner at the same time, I usually carry my old one in my toolbox as a spare (along with my old belt).
"BOYCOTT AUTOZONE!"

JaxSPL

Post by JaxSPL »

I can't remember the exact details of the swap, but you can put a tahoe, surburban, or other big truck like that, alternator on the 4.3L engine with little to no modification. Napa sells a 140amp alternator as well, for the 4.3L, but you must buy their wiring upgrade kit too.

Do the Big 3 upgrade no matter if you get your current alternator rebuilt or if you get a new one. I recommend people doing this on all vehicles. you would not believe how much it will help, if done properly.

Some do not recommend this, but I have had great luck. Motorcityreman 200amp alternator. I have had mine for a few years now, in the '89 Astro, and have not had one bit of a problem with it. I was, at one time, the power for my stereo system (4 15s on 4000wrms and 8 6.5s, 8 2" tweeters, and 2 6.5- 2way speakers on 2000wrms). I also had a smallish battery bank of 4 batteries. That alternator handled it real good and is still in the van to this day. Hoping I can switch it out to the '95 Astro.

Hope this helps and gets you on the right track. If anything it should give you a couple other options for alternators.
I Am Dennis. Van is Da Boom
Florida Sales Rep for GPI Subwoofers

Topic author
crazyvanman

Post by crazyvanman »

VanGoGo, Sorry to hear that. I always had luck with them before, so i was hoping it was a Barstow thing. Maybe they have changed owners or something. Bad attitudes at the top always leads to bad people on the bottom.

Thanks, JaxSPL; that gives me a start. i run a few extra batteries as well so i like an alternator that can charge them up fairly quickly without over working it.

!994 Safari AWD

Topic author
crazyvanman

Post by crazyvanman »

doyoulikeithere wrote:Hey Man !
Is your accessory bracket made of steel or aluminum?
I had an alternator failure in my 95, with the aluminum accessory brackets.
Once I got to pulling out the old alternator, I noticed it wasnt tracking properly with the belt.
It was sitting in the mount weird. After pulling it out, I saw the accessory Bracket was cracked.
Got another one at the salvage yard and a new alternator too. Badda Bing !
Do not know yet. I haven't really got started yet. Monday i will probably jerk thewheels off to start replacing spark plugs and wires, and i will take a close look then.Thanks for the heads up about possible bracket problem. :peep:

!994 Safari AWD