Easter Weekend in Anza Borrego

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Easter Weekend in Anza Borrego

Post by Herbie »

Wanted to share some of the highlights of our most recent weekend trip. I was inspired by a new series on ExpeditionPortal.com - called "36 Hour Adventures", based on the notion that we can miss lots of great short trips if we focus too much on the long expedition-style trips. Instead of waiting until you can manage an Epic adventure, just see how much you can pack in to a weekend.
Well, I think we did ok. In our 36 hours, here's just some of what we were able to accomplish:

Picnic and Deer-spotting in William Heise Park
After a morning of wine tasting, we picnicked on some pressed veggie and prosciutto sandwiches and a salad of english peas and haricot verts

Explored some jeep trails in the Big and Little Blair Valleys of Anza Borrego.

We only saw a handful of other vehicles the whole time we were camped, and the nearest campers were a dot of light on the other side of the valley.

Had time to catch up on some reading and coloring.

A brief pre-dinner walk from our campsite took us to one of the cultural interpretive sites in the area - a set of ancient Morteros were the nomadic natives would grind gathered seeds into meal.

Dinner was a family favorite, Greek-style pita pockets with marinated tri-tip from the grill.

S'mores and shooting stars. We were hoping to catch part of the Lyrid meteor shower in the window between darkness and moonrise. Only a few shooting stars tonight, though Mars, Saturn, and Jupiter were all visible!

Once the moon came up, it was too bright for much else, so I turned the macro lens upward.

The Easter bunny managed to find us out in the wilderness, must be sharing GPS coordinates with Santa.

We have mixed feelings about bringing technology on these trips, but a few minutes in the shade with her tablet keeps the little one out of the way while we strike camp.

A half-hour's drive from Blair Valley is one of the best slot canyons I've ever hiked. Known locally only as "the slot".

This was our daughter's first hike that was more than a quick walk. She did great!

By the end of the morning, she considered herself an expert on the subject of hiking. Wanted to lead the way. Still required a little steering from the rear to keep her on the right trail and out of the cactus, though.

An obligatory stop on the way back out of the desert is the Miner's Diner in Julian, CA. Playing cards are substituted for order numbers at this joint. We shared her first Malt during lunch, and I was reminded that I'd had my first malt at the counter of the same soda shop when I wasn't much older than my daugher. Afterwards, we "mined" for treats in the basement "Candy Mine" before walking around town a bit. By early afternoon, a late night of stargazing, all the hiking, and two days without a nap had taken it's toll. Kiddo was carried back to the van, protesting "I'm not tired!", all the while slumped over daddy's shoulder. She and mom both slept on the drive down the mountain.

After we'd been home a couple of hours, Google+ pinged me that it'd had its way with the photos and video I'd shot during the trip, via one of their "auto awesome" productions. After a bit of tweaking, this was the result:
https://youtu.be/HpJv9YhXLhg

We hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoyed the trip.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Easter Weekend in Anza Borrego

Post by T.Low »

Wow. And I thought I had a good Easter!
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Cool! Video really made me smile!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Thanks for the trip report! I love seeing parents taking their kids out camping, wheeling and sight-seeing. Makes me wish we had better weather here sooner so we could get out camping. Still got to wait 2 weeks!
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Thanks, Herbie. Reminds me so much of when my daughter was that age. We did everything together. I miss those days. She's now 40 and has a daughter who's graduating from high school next month.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Nice Herbie, we should meet up in AB sometime. What a great place!!
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710