After several different 4X4 vans, trying a 98 Astro now

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
LAZ 1
I get chills without my van.

After several different 4X4 vans, trying a 98 Astro now

Post by LAZ 1 »

I spent decades as a young hippy vagabond in the sixties and seventies and eighties bouncing around in various VW CAMPER VANS, most of which I camperised my self. But that was then and this is now. The VW vans, as great as they once were, seemed to shrink as I got older, and got too slow. So in the mid 90s, I upgraded from the VW vans to bigger, more powerful units, like my 3/4 ton 1984 Dodge solid axle under coil spring 4X4 van conversion with the 318 V8. This was an EX-BC Forest Products Ambulance conversion ... complete with RAISED ROOF, LOTS OF CUPBOARDS, oxygen tanks and vomit sucker. It did pretty good for a GREAT WHITE WHALE, but the 318 was a bit under-powered ... and so were the old drum front brakes on the Dana 44F front axle.

Then I got into a 1988 Ford ONE TON 12 passenger 4X4 Pathfinder conversion window van, which was used WAYyyyyy up North at a remote resort to haul skiers up the hill . The Ford, with the BIG 460 and Independent Front Suspension twin scissors front axles under coils, was a fantastic rig in the deep snow, or on the highway at speed, or even moving along briskly on logging roads or dirt roads. The twin scissors front axles and LONNNnnng wheelbase smoothed out the ride on the hiway or the rough roads, and NO LIFT was required.

But both these BIG rigs were simply TOO BIG and TOO HEAVY for serious off road use. I got the Ford stuck frame deep once in a bog, and pulling that MASSIVE pig out was EPIC!!. So in 1998 I downsized, with a series of the Toyota LE 4X4 vans ... three of the 5 Spd standards and two of the Automatics. The 5 spd Toy Van was a TRUE 4x4, with a low range two speed transfer case, and with 27"/8.50 Mud Terrain tires, was limited only by the over long "snout" that reduced the approach angle. I took my 4X4 Toy vans down some pretty serious trails ... including one great adventure where we literally floated it across a stream and clawed our way up the muddy bank on the other side. The Toys got about 30 MPG on the hiway, would do 100 MPH wide flat out, and WITH THE STIFFER / WIDER 27" / 8.50 MUD TERRAIN TIRES, the stability on and off road was fantastic. But eventually the supply of spare and used parts for these great little 4X4 rigs dried up, and as the bodies rusted away, I eventually abandoned the Toy vans for something a bit more modern. And they always were a bit small for longer camping trips.

My next run was with the Mazda MPV 4WD vans, and I had a few of these. These had a single speed transfer case, but also came with a LOCKING central/interaxle DIFF. With larger 235/75/R15 LT All Terrain tires, I took these vans on some great adventures ... mostly short weekend or week long trips exploring and camping in REMOTE AREAS of Vancouver Island and the Gulf islands. However, as I got older, I found that the MPV simply didn't provide the interior space I wanted for longer camping trips. So once again I changed my platform.

I just bought an AWD 98 Astro van. It is large enough to make into a comfortable camper for long term trips. Mine seems to be in decent condition as is, and I will try a few trips with it before starting to camperise and/or mod it up. First thing will be 235/75R15 LT tires. But eventually, if it works out well for me, I may convert it into a box style Class C micro motorhome. I have lots of experience camperising vans and once even built my own MICRO/MINI motorhome on a VW van.

But first things first ... TIRES!!
Then RELABILITY upgrades [ suggestions appreciated ].
Then a Mild lift [ 2" with torsion bars at the front and ???? at the rear???

Thanks
Larry Z
aka
LAZ 1

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: After several different 4X4 vans, trying a 98 Astro now

Post by T.Low »

Wow. I don't think ive ever met anyone who's owned VW, yota van, Mopar, Ford, MPV, and Astro before. :cheers:

Vancouver Island, heck, I'm surprised you haven't owned a Delica somewhere amongst all those vans.

Welcome.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Topic author
LAZ 1

Post by LAZ 1 »

I have also owned a Micro/KEI Subaru SAMBAR AWD van and a Daihatsu Hijet true 4X4 Forward Control pickup. These were fantastic TEENSY/TINY /AROUND TOWN commuter vehicles, and with a lift kit and bigger tires, the Daihatsu would go just about anywhere a Quad could. However, even with the supercharger on the Sambar, hiway performance was about the same as the old VW vans... in other words ANEMIC. I viewed these tiny rigs as basically a street legal quad substitute, and/or a big mobile dog kennel. In this role they are SUPERB ... and the Sambar had enough flat floor space to sleep in as well. For short term ultra light camping trips they could be the perfect solution.

If I could have found a five speed standard DOMINGO van, with the larger Subaru JUSTY motor, and factory 13" rims, I might have considered one.

I have taken a few Delica 4X4 vans for test drives. IMHO they are all WAY overpriced. Unless you actually fly over to Japan and import one yourself, you are paying BIG $$$ to the importer. The older L300 version is again grossly underpowered, but the newer, more stylish L400 models at least have enough power to pass a VW van ... up hill anyhow. But again, a bit to small for long term "Overlanding" aka full time living in.

I am hoping the Safari / Astro platfrom will give me the exact compromise between cargo capacity and weight. Enough space to live in long term, but still light enough to tip toe through the tight spots.

Maybe I will get it JUST RIGHT this time.
[;{)
LAZ 1

PS: With Mercedes/Dodge now offering a $x$ [ oops ... meant to say 4X4 ] version of the SPRINTER vans, [ at $42,000 US for the base version $x$ might be more appropriate ] if I ever won the lottery, this could be the way I went for my ULTIMATE DREAM MACHINE. But until then, I'll work with the Astro.

PPS: I didn't mention all the NON-van 4X4 rigs I've had ... like International Scouts, HI PERF Blazer with 350 HP, Diesel Landcrusher, Diesel banks Turbo charged Suburban, 22' long crew cab with 8' box ex-CP Rail Dodge Power Wagon, three Suzuki Side kicks, etc., or the Dunebuggies I built as wee lad.

I like to play in the dirt ... and I like to bring a lot of toys along with me when I do, so a 4WD Van is the best solution I have found for my life style.

allmntrider
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by allmntrider »

Wow I thought I loved vans. I had a 87 toyota 4x van years back when I lived in the sierra's. It was cool my main problem with it was how the windows didn't go down all the way leaving no room for my arm to rest comfortably. Order 2x3 body blocks,and a procomp 2.5 inch add a leafs from summit. get your longer bolts from Fastenal. If memory serves me right you can get it lifted enough for 235's with some trimming and spend less then a 100 on the actual lift.

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Larry, are you based in lower BC anywhere?
ImageImageImageImage

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Welcome neighbour.
:cheers:
Sounds like you've had them all, almost.
:muhaha:
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
LAZ 1

Fantasy Island ... EHHHhhhh!

Post by LAZ 1 »

I am in Colwood right now, just back from a Winter in Arizona. Previously spent a year on Gabriola, eight years in Saanich.

I plan to explore some of the remote areas on Vancouver Island and a few of the Gulf Islands this summer and then back to the US for the lonmg, cold, WET Monsoon Season. Not Arizona again, but possibly the interior / HIGH DESERT country in Oregon, or maybe down the BAJA to SantisPac.

I have been to BAJA before on an epic 6 week motorcycle ride and always wanted to go back in a camper van and tour the Sea of Cortes with an inflatable Zodiac boat and a small outboard.
[;{)
LAZ 1

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Nice camp spot on the west side of Francis Lk off Carmanah Main.

http://youtu.be/vdd2eMPdAK8
ImageImageImageImage

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Fantasy Island ... EHHHhhhh!

Post by doyoulikeithere »

LAZ 1 wrote:I am in Colwood right now, just back from a Winter in Arizona. Previously spent a year on Gabriola, eight years in Saanich.

I plan to explore some of the remote areas on Vancouver Island and a few of the Gulf Islands this summer and then back to the US for the lonmg, cold, WET Monsoon Season. Not Arizona again, but possibly the interior / HIGH DESERT country in Oregon, or maybe down the BAJA to SantisPac.

I have been to BAJA before on an epic 6 week motorcycle ride and always wanted to go back in a camper van and tour the Sea of Cortes with an inflatable Zodiac boat and a small outboard.
[;{)
LAZ 1
Nice ! A KLR 650 by any chance ??
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
LAZ 1

Re: Fantasy Island ... EHHHhhhh!

Post by LAZ 1 »

doyoulikeithere wrote:
LAZ 1 wrote: I have been to BAJA before on an epic 6 week motorcycle ride and always wanted to go back in a camper van and tour the Sea of Cortes with an inflatable Zodiac boat and a small outboard.
[;{)
LAZ 1
Nice ! A KLR 650 by any chance ??
YES ... I went down the BAJA on a KLR 650 that I did up specifically for this trip. Cost me an extra $2000 to get the KLR to how I wanted it. But while I was down there I spent several days on a BMW 650 DAKAR coming back up. I was so impressed with the DAKAR that when I got back I sold the KLR and bought a DAKAR of my own. After the DAKAR there was a Vstrom 650 and then a VSTROM 1000. Sold the Vstrom 1000 last year to buy a motorhome.

Probably not going to ride much any more ... any one want to buy a 2006 BMW K1200S??
[;{)
LAZ 1

Topic author
LAZ 1

Got a spare AWD 1999 Safari

Post by LAZ 1 »

WELllllllll ....
after about a month of riding around in my GREEN AWD 98 SLX, I decided that I REALLY like the Safari van. Liked them enough to make a commitment. So I bought a SPARE AWD 1999 SL that had been converted into a cargo van. This 99 was repainted WHITE, rear was stripped of seats, carpets, and side panels, and then it was ridden hard and pulled up wet. The body is rough ... but it was a fleet vehicle for a small business and was supposedly well maintained mechanically. It runs OK ... but definitely needs some TLC.

So I now have either a great rolling pile of spare parts,
OR
a beater cargo van for heavy/dirty hauling [without having to take the seats out of my daily driver 98 AWD and GETTING IT MESSY ]
OR
a base to practice all my do it yourself mods without messing with the daily driver
OR
since it is WHITE,
a potential donor cab and chassis to cut the back top half off and make into a Mini Motor Home [ like the TIGER ].
HMMmmmmm?

Perhaps ALL OF THE ABOVE!!
[;{)