Safari GT question

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
John B
I am merely driving my van

Safari GT question

Post by John B »

I have a Safari GT that I've converted into a mini-RV. I bought one of those shoe bags that you hang on the back of your closet. A friend of mine who's handy with a sowing machine cut the bag into 4 pieces. I'm putting one section of 8 pockets on each the inside of the panels that have the glass omitted in favour of solid panels with the big fake louvers on them.
My question is, what's under the cloth? Can I acre some hooks into this material and expect to hit something that will hold a bit of weight? It will be mostly personal effects, like glasses, watches, socks and underwear, maybe a book or two.
My big fear is I don't want to screw right through the outer panel, nor do I want to put holes on the inside, only to have the scows pull out of the material behind the cloth.
Has anyone ever had this part of a Safari GT dissected before?
Thanks

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: Safari GT question

Post by Astrophysics »

To be safe, you could use industrial strength adhesive backed velcro to secure. Or even get super strong magnetics at Harbor Freight to attach to steel .

AP

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

Radio Shack has SUPERVELCRO that is used to hold speaker covers in place. There are four strips per package.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

Topic author
John B

Post by John B »

Thanks guys. I ended up suspending the shoe bags by drilling into the top of the plastic "window" frame, inserting those vinyl plugs that you usually use on drywall, and screwing into those.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

good choice. those panels are not thick or strong and whats behind them is the metal van body. Those panels will be hard to find replacements for as they are as rare as wrecked GTs.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.