Swap BorgWarner transfercase

FROM AWD'S TO 2-SPEED MANUAL SHIFT, IF IT LINKS THE REAR AXLE TO THE FRONT AXLE, POST IT HERE.

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Re: Swap BorgWarner transfercase

Post by photo_van »

do you not have the one from the Borg? It should be the same and no need to remove it from the trans.
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Topic author
bluesea
I am merely driving my van

Post by bluesea »

That’s what I thought. But the big hole is 2cm smaller then as it needed from the 233er. I found and ordered now one on ebay. That should fit.
Unfortunately I found another issue. The Blazer universal joint from the rear driveshaft has diameter 28mm and the original Astro 30mm. So I can’t connect the driveshaft this way.
What can I do? Do I need Blazer yoke? Or special u-joint?
compressor fridge
Eberspaecher air heather

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

The spline count is different I believe, with the two outputs: the BW as I recall is 27? the the NP is 32?. You will need the driveshaft yoke from the/a donor vehicle. The yoke will hopefully accept the same u-joint. Otherwise you will need to get a combination/conversion u-joint (I had to get one to adapt the Bravada driveshaft to the Astro rear yoke). Also, be sure to check that the transmission output spline count matches the transfer case input spline count!
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Topic author
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

That’s a good idea. I did a quick check and it looks that I can change the yokes where going to the transfer case.
So I use the Astro driveshaft with the Blazer transfer case yoke. The question is if the length will fit…
Still waiting for the adapter plate.
compressor fridge
Eberspaecher air heather

Topic author
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Got the part today. It does not fit ](*,) . I was pretty sure that it's the right one. It looks there are different
233er out there, with different "input covers" they have not the same diameter. Found these pictures in google. I have now the wrong combination :cry:
I consider just to drill out that hole. But I am not sure if it's needed for holding everything in center.

compressor fridge
Eberspaecher air heather

truC

Post by truC »

Man that is such a drag when that happens, sorry to hear. What was TC out of?

I just found a 1998 Safair for sale with 187miles on it, guy want $600.
Life is short, get out and get dirty.

Topic author
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

The TC was from a 96 Blazer. Mine is 95. It looks they changed in that year the TC. I think the difference is -96 the adapter has 4 bolts inside on the transmission side. The 96+ has 6 bolts outside on the transmission side.
My problem is now that I have invested a lot time and money to that project. I’ve not give up so far. One option is to find another adapter or I have to find a shop who can drill out that hole.
As well the rear drive shaft does not fit. The Blazer has the wrong u-joint drive shaft to axle. I can use the astro driveshaft with the Blazer joint but it is to long.
compressor fridge
Eberspaecher air heather