Xenon Cobra body kit for my 05 Astro-should I or too blingy?

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
JustSomeGuy
I am smitten with my van

Re: Xenon Cobra body kit for my 05 Astro-should I or too bli

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Cool! Yeah, Land Cruisers rock. Mine was a 3B diesel 60 series. Diesels were available in Canada but not the US. Sadly, Canadian winters took a toll on all of them and turned them into rust buckets. Mine wasn't too bad considering it spent over 20 years in a snowbelt region of Canada, less rusty than most, but was far from being rust free. I thought of getting a rust free southern US gasser FJ60 or FJ62 and swap over all of the diesel drivetrain components, but since I'd have to hire it out, and due to logistics, it was just too much. So, I sold it. A guy from Alabama flew here and drove it back home. Not sure what he did with it after that.

I ended up buying a rust free but kinda costmetically beat up 98 Ford Windstar cargo van from Florida (on eBay). But then I needed a passenger van, so I got the 2005 Astro which is much cleaner and better maintained. I love the Astro and intend on keeping it for a long time. It's practical, reliable and when it does need something, easier to get parts for and get mechanics willing to fix it. But, someday I'm sure I'll get another Land Cruiser. Maybe a JDM turbo diesel to have as a weekend toy.
2005 Astro RWD, base model, ex-cop van, cadet blue

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

The Land Cruiser is the only vehicle I'm aware of where the driver is considered rude if he/she doesn't wave hello as you pass another Cruiser. Of course that only applies to the 80's and earlier vehicles. It's pretty rare these days but it's very exciting to wave at a fellow Cruiser!

Someday I will have a fleet. Really, there's like 10 different ones I will own.

In my opinion it's the coolest vehicle on the planet. I would rather drive an olive drab FJ45 than a Ferrari. You might only get up to 65mph but you'll look damn cool as everyone passes!

Topic author
JustSomeGuy
I am smitten with my van

Post by JustSomeGuy »

When I owned my smurf blue 1984 BJ60 it was already 21 years old and there were very few left on the road around here. In the 3 or 4 years I owned it, I don't think I ever had the chance to see another one up close on the road. I occasionally saw one parked with nobody in it, or catch a quick glimpse of one going the opposite way on a freeway. So, I never had the chance to wave at another Land Cruiser owner. And I agree, it had to be a 1980s or older Land Cruiser if I had a chance to wave at them.

Before having the Land Cruiser, I had a Lada Niva 4x4 (a small 2 door SUV that was sold in Canada but not the USA). Back in the 1990s and early 2000s in the Montreal area you would still see a few per week, or at least one per week driving around. I would always wave at other Niva drivers. Most would wave back at me. The Lada Niva was an excellent off-roader but had the build quality and respect of a Yugo back in the day by most people who weren't into cars or appreciate the uniqueness of it.

If I can ever have the space and means to have a collection of vehicles, I would not have exotic sports cars either. I'd have some of the forgotten classics, like a 60 series Land Cruiser and a bunch of other vehicles most people wouldn't bother collecting. It's a real trip to see something that used to be a mainstream or under-appreciated car back in the day, but that's been out of production for 20 or 30 years. Fast exotic sports cars don't do much for me. Give me some ordinary 70s or 80s (or maybe even 1990s) relic any day! I like being different. That's one reason I like my Astro. It looks old and boxy and most people consider it uncool to drive a minivan. But I love it!
2005 Astro RWD, base model, ex-cop van, cadet blue