How many miles is too many miles for a camper conversion?

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

Topic author
AnarchyintheAK
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

How many miles is too many miles for a camper conversion?

Post by AnarchyintheAK »

I have lived in Alaska to long! Time to go. Need to get out of my money pit house by may 1 and move into a van with a dog for the remainder of the summer. I'm a camping/fishing/backpacking kind of girl and van life isn't weird or scary to me, but I do expect a vehicle that can get me where I want to go. ...sometimes down touch roads to the beach and sometimes up slick mountain roads. The AWD in a van on a budget attracted me to these guys and I am comfortable with the decision.

But, I have some questions. When picking out my van from the limited stock available to me here, how many miles is too many? I plan on working on this thing through the end of august then driving the alcan down to the west coat and putzing my way all the way down to Cabo and then who knows where from there. Probably Colorado. I'm seeing good solid vehicles in my very limited price range with 100k to 190k miles on them. What tends to go first? I will be able to suss out issues and spend a few roams on repairs and improvements (lift kit! Roof rack! Ceiling vent!) But would hope to generally avoid very costly mechanical repairs, even though there are lots of parts available around here.

Thoughts?

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: How many miles is too many miles for a camper conversion

Post by mdmead »

Welcome!

Personally, I'd be looking at the vans closer to 100K miles, expecting it to run to 200K without any major drivetrain failures.

After purchase, a complete change out of fluids would be a priority. Air filter, new plugs, wires, cap/rotor, new serpentine belt and hoses, along with a new fuel filter. New idler arms if they aren't already nearly new.

My question would be, what items can fail and leave me stranded? Two things top my list. One, from personal experience, is the serpentine belt tensioner. Mine went before 100K and nearly stranded me. I'd change it with the belt and toss the old one on board for a spare. Second is the fuel pump. I'm not sure I'd change it now, but I'd make sure I had a spare with me... actually, in your case, I might go ahead and change it... unless you are up to wrestling around dropping a full gas tank later on!

If you were in most of the lower 48, I wouldn't worry about a lot of this stuff and just fix stuff as it starts to fail or fails. But the thought of being in remote locations and having to be self-sufficient, I'd take more preventative measures.

Good luck in your search!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

Carbon up EGR valves are pretty common.A screened EGR valve gasket prevents that from happening.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

AstroWill
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by AstroWill »

If I were looking for a new Astro/Safari I would be looking for 100k miles and below if possible, though a lot depends on condition. I'm also partial towards the 03-05 years with the upgraded brakes, tow/haul button, no egr valve, etc.

In addition to what mdmead said, I would also check/replace the distributor drive gear(whole billet alum dist w/cap/rotor can be had for $50), check the engine mounts, and possibly add a transmission cooler to the list.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Along with whats been mentioned make sure you have a proper sized spare, also make sure to either install a second battery for running electrical items ( lights, cell phone/tablet charging, small appliances etc ) you never want to run your main battery down because you want that van to start when it's time to move on. If you could afford it my big 5 would be...

New battery
New starter
New alternator
New fuel pump
New cap,wires,rotor

Learn how to take the doghouse off, it's handy to know, here's a quick how to on a 2003 viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4813&p=75598&hilit ... val#p75598

Camping in the vans is no problem you can set them up pretty nice, living in them is a different story ( been there,done that ) it's doable but its no house. If possible, stay in touch with the forum to let us know how you're making out and if you need any advice on repairs etc... good luck with everything :cheers:

arlon
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by arlon »

I just got back from spending a week in the van at a park with few facilities (Big Bend NP). a week was fine with some facilities but I don't know how I'd do living in the thing that would be a lot different. I'm sure some people have done it. Several web sites dedicated to van dwelling.. Might be worth checking them if you haven't already. Miles aren't everything. I'd prefer a van with more miles from someone that took care of it than a commercial low mile van driven by someone that didn't own it... Good luck with the search and trip.
2004 AWD Astro 2" lift, overnight-able
2003 Dodge/Cummins Quad cab
2006 Nissan X-terra MT
1985 LTD LX 5.0 HO
Plus wife's and kid's cars to take care of...

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Good list going here my friends. One thought on fuel pumps. Spend the money on oem. Aftermarket is bad news here.
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s