High performance alternator -- any risks?

Battery, alternator, starter, cables, etc.

Topic author
kevinfin
I am merely driving my van

High performance alternator -- any risks?

Post by kevinfin »

Hi All - I have 1990 Provan Tiger XL (small RV built on a 1989 Astro 4.3L). I am looking to upgrade the alternator to a more high performance unit (160 or 200ah) in order to help charge my house battery bank quicker.

Here are my questions, I appreciate your thoughts since I am a complete idiot when it comes to mechanics 1) does putting a high performance alternator such as the ones below add any stress to the engine and lead to possible belt slippage, etc? The RV conversion has already a lot of weight and performance is something I need to be somewhat conscious of. 2) Is there any kind of product out there that I could connect between the alternator charge cable and the house battery bank that would limit the alternator from charging past 14.2v and shut down when the battery bank was full?

https://www.dbelectrical.com/casearch.a ... ++&x=0&y=0

You thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated.

Bomber-Z

Re: High performance alternator -- any risks?

Post by Bomber-Z »

I have never seen anyone have a problem with running a higher amp alternator. I have been using larger alts to run my amps in my radio. Right now I'm running a 250amp AD244 I got on Amazon for about 150. It is bigger and keeps everything charged. I also have extra batteries. Changing things up now to add bigger amps and more speakers. I will have 3, 55 amp hour AGM to keep the amps juiced. There are people running 4,5,6 alternators to power 40,000 watts of amps. Look up Steve Meade and his truck. The alt is regulated and is only going to put out what is needed so that should be no problem.
To me it is like a gun. Better to have it and not need it, then need it and no have it.
Best of luck.

Topic author
kevinfin

Re: High performance alternator -- any risks?

Post by kevinfin »

Thanks bomber. That's good to know.