ARB Winch Bumper Install - DasMule Expedition Outfitters

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: ARB Winch Bumper Install - DasMule Expedition Outfitter

Post by Astrophysics »

I put the low mount ARB bumper option suggestion for Das Mule photo images in an MS Word file to see if I could attach that document.

AP

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Please see attached file for ideas to improve the acceptability and number of orders for the ARB Astro bumper kit. The low mount install may attract those with stock or 2 inch lift whereas the high mount for serious 4, 5, inch lifted rigs.

Basically, what I call the High Mount installation is the current version developed by Das Mule. What I call the Low mount version mounts about 6 inches lower.

My suggestion is to fabricate the adapter kit with mounting holes to allow both version of installation height, this could increase sales of the adapter.

Suggested option for the Low mount installation of the ARB FJ bumper on Astro van.
With this bumper height, the OEM Chevy Park/Turn lamps are usable and shine thru the opening the ARB brush guard. The OEM headlights shine over the top of the brush guard. The ARB bumper cutouts in its bumper could be used for fog/off road lamps.
The Lower bumper mount put the centerline of the ARB closer to the direct path to the Astro frame.
Also the low mount hides the unsightly undercarriage and subframe cross members which used to be covered by the plastic OEM Chevy bumper guard.

This is 2003 Chevy Astro AWD with the 2 “ Overland body lift. Photos shows the 2” bumper relocation bracket installed and the OEM Heavy duty bumper mounts on the floor since they do not fit inside the light weight relocation bracket.

Can you make the ARB FJ bumper kit such that the ARB bumper can mount low such that the Chevy OEM park/Turn lamps are usable thru the brush guard opening of the ARB bumper?

AP

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

$449 for the brackets?!!!!
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi ,

The engineering of the brackets plus the metal and fabrication labor does add up. If you look closely, the adapter kit consists of a full width 2"x2" steel box tube connecting by the Astro frame points which are about 43" center to center. On the AWD Astro the frame and subframe could be a bit different than your 2WD Astro.
Das Mule could become an important supplier of add on mods for our vans. There are more Astro Safaris on the road than VW vanagons and synchros.
Engineering
Assembly drawing
Parts list
Brassboard
Prototype
Production release
installation instruction documentation,
Lets support the Mule project.
AP

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

For $449 I'd expect a mount that wouldn't put my bumper into the grille and hood on light impact and still retain proper activation of the airbag sensor, kinda like something ARB would design. Brassboard? You will have it bolted to the front of your van, lol.

So $30 in steel and $419 in design. Not too shabby if you drive a Cayenne offroad. $250 is reasonable and more inline with something ARB would sell and you can bet they have all their design costs and brassboard testing fees built into that. I'm all for supporting a reasonable product at a reasonable cost.

What's the difference between RWD and AWD frame width at the bumper mount area?
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi 97 Cargo Crawler,

You have lots of super nice fabrication on your van, especially the roof rack and custom bumpers, etc.
I love customizing my Astro too.
I am just trying to get a good supplier to help with Astro gear. Overland Vans is great but wow, The cost of gear and time to develop.
We all now that it is not easy to keep a business profitable and running. For example, look at all the neighborhood bicycle shops that go out of business
because they cannot compete with On line.
Anyway, when we look at prices at 4 Wheel Parts or for Jeep Wrangler stuff, those guys have high price for parts which have a huge market share.
Astro is unique and we kinda have to pay for the special stuff.

The air bag sensor is under the subframe I think. The main thing about Astros is to increase the front end strength and even get the sub frame extenders.
I want my Astro to stay in one piece in a frontal collision.

The science of frontal crash is complicated, crumple zones, steering shaft, frame buckling, wow, that is why I drive slow when there are cars around in busy traffic and run with DRL and extra fog lights on in daytime, and extra red reflectors under rear bumper.

Have a look sometime on web at Romeo Rim Safety bumpers that are used on van school buses. The Romeo Rim is $700 to $1,000. They have an awesome thick rubber bumper cover that can absorb the first low speed hit. Then they have an I beam 1/4' thick aluminum bumper.

Das Mule has a good web site and they do make awesome rock sliders for the VW Sychro. Maybe we can get them to make Rock sliders for Astro.

Mule is trying to get the bumper mod kit on their web site in early June. I am trying to get a minor design change incorporated into the drawings to allow multiple heights of mounting.
Documentation itself is expensive.

AP

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

You're mentioning spec's (2"x2" pipe) and photos etc...where is this stuff? I don't see anything on their website about this mount. You have CAD drawings of this thing? From SB's pix it looks like a box frame with two vertical plates in the middle someplace for the bumper to bolt to. I assume the FJ ARB bumper assembles like my Chevy truck ARB with two vertical plates in the bumper attaching to two vertical plates on the frame mount bracket:

My bumper had multiple mounting holes for height adjustment and room to drill more. I'm guessing the FJ bumper might have something similar (PIX would help if someone posted them):

I also drive a 33 year old FJ40 Land Cruiser that has been out of production for 31 years. I know all about niche and dwindling markets for gear. I suppose that's why I started building my own. I love metal fabrication and have contemplated making several of my own van modifications for production and sale. But there is no money to be made in niche markets for vehicles that get scrapped for salvage steel when the engine or tranny blows. I suppose the price is right for someone who cannot or doesn't have the time to make something themselves or go to a local fabricator.

I think the design you see here with the FJ bumper is a damage multiplier. It's too high above the frame and too close to the body on front and sides.
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Nce work on your van! I like the 4 horns too.
You have adde a lot of extras.
The essential parts of a design: size, weight and power.

Where did you re route the power steering coolant lines, that OEM had behind bumper?
I added an aux cooler near radiator and got rid of the coiled pwr steerong coolant lines.

I will try to find my photos, but I am having issues with attaching photos on this site.

AP

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Astrophysics wrote:Nce work on your van! I like the 4 horns too.
You have adde a lot of extras.
The essential parts of a design: size, weight and power.

Where did you re route the power steering coolant lines, that OEM had behind bumper?
I added an aux cooler near radiator and got rid of the coiled pwr steerong coolant lines.

I will try to find my photos, but I am having issues with attaching photos on this site.

AP
I have everything that makes an RV function and like any RV that has all those "extras" its heavy and well thought out with size,weight and power all being factors playing a role. Thank you for the compliments. My van did not come stock with the power steering cooler lines, yet I added them in addition to a aux fin style cooler and all is attached to my custom radiator assembly:

So you do have pix of this bumper mount? How did you acquire those?! I don't even know why I care at this point. I have my ARB Chevy truck bumper mounted and it's awesome. A true bumper that fits the dimensions of every aspect of the vehicle and maintains a crush buffer of over 2" without touching the body using slightly modified ARB mounting brackets that cost a measly $179 and weighed in at 38lbs in steel.
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Wow! That is Aerospace type quality! I worked at Lockheed and now hope to work at Northrop. It is super nice to apply such high quality and design logistics for maintainabilty for your own vehicle.
My 2003 oil cooler lines are leaking so i bought the Dorman replacement for $56.

AP