Torsen front differential anyone?

THIS FORUM IS FOR ANY QUESTIONS ON THE 7.25" IFS FRONT DIFF, CV HALF SHAFTS AND FRONT DRIVE SHAFT.

Topic author
Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: Torsen front differential anyone?

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Stroverlander wrote:Great work Captn and thanks for daring to try something different! :cheers:

Thank you Stro - it means a lot hearing that. Now here’s to getting her all buttoned up and going on a world tour. :guitar:
Well maybe we’ll just stay stateside and visit a/s aficionados
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Topic author
Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

I’m back with an update on the twin Torsened test mule. Hmmm test mule yup that’s her name! Gonna put it in vinyl letters on the rear door.
Anyway-I’ve had a couple of opportunities to drive the van in the snow and it’s the coolest thing I’ve ever driven! It is basically impossible to upset it. With two open diffs the van accelerates straight ahead in snow. Add a rear lsd and the ass end will kick out under heavy acceleration like your old muscle car with posi. Add the front lsd and you are back to arrow straight acceleration. With the twin Torsen’s you can step on the gas going around a corner in the snow and it just goes around the corner. If I step on the gas hard enough I could get the van to slide sideways but remain pointed in the right direction the whole time.
Turning while braking in the snow can lead to issues as the vehicle tends to try to continue to travel in a straight line. I found that by downshifting manually and keeping the drivetrain loaded with torque for lack of a better discription, I could decelerate and turn with no “ push” from the front end.
Let’s see-what else? Oh ya there was the snow pile test. I ran both the drivers side wheels up onto a pile of plowed snow and stopped. Passenger side tires were on pavement. My brother just shook his head and said “ you’re done”. Hit the gas and off we went. No wheel spin no drama no kidding.
So all in all it’s been a very pleasant experience. I find myself looking for places to go to try and get stuck. My options are limited round these parts but I’ll keep trying.
Twin Torsen’s are real. Twin Torsen’s are cool. Twin Torsen’s are real cool
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Bret Schmerker
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Bret Schmerker »

=D> Congratulations on a successful Zexel Torsen® snow test! The dual-drive differential as engineered by Vernon Gleasman in the 1950's, with its crossed-axis helical gears, is a Chinese puzzle even to depot repairmen. But the Torsen Type 1's behavior under unequal load resistance sold Unionauto AG, thus its inclusion in the quattro® drivetrains of specific Audi models. I've planned on a competitor to the Torsen Type 2, the originally Tractech-engineered EATON® Detroit Truetrac®, as includes for the contingency Curries on my M11006, still have to research the Torsen Type 3 as a possible alternate to the all-gear transfer case I'm considering for retrofit.
1997 GMC M11006 (Safari SLE, 2WD, V6-4300/4L60-E/7.625" 3.73:1 open)
Acquired Jul 2018 / In service Sep 2018 - Nov 2022 / down due leaky valve(s) #5 cyl.