Torsen front differential anyone?

THIS FORUM IS FOR ANY QUESTIONS ON THE 7.25" IFS FRONT DIFF, CV HALF SHAFTS AND FRONT DRIVE SHAFT.

Topic author
Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: Torsen front differential anyone?

Post by Captn. Crunch »

So it's really happening! Just got shipping confirmation from Aaron over at sy/ty.com. My Torsen front differential unit ships today. Time to drag the cast iron diff out from under the shed and start prepping.
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Super ! Take lottsa pix please and post em up :)
Looking fwd to it.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

So here it is! Initial inspection shows a very well manufactured and finished unit. Looking forward to popping this Torsen unit into my cast iron front diff and stuffing it under the van. All of this is over the top and unnecessary and I can't wait!
Attachments
image.jpg
Captn. Crunch
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT

Topic author
Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

So it’s done and here’s what happened. A few years ago I bought a used Torsen style carrier for the rear diff and installed it myself. Having no idea what I was doing I screwed it up. It performed fine but there was a whine to remind me I didn’t get it right. My tranny quit on me so I grabbed a jy unit and swapped that in. I had my original built to the hilt by a local guru but didn’t install it due to the uncertian status of my rear diff. So the tranny sat. I located a cast iron front diff from a 4x4 S-10 and had it shipped. It sat next to the tranny. Last January I bought the MFactory Torsen carrier for the 7.25” front diff and it sat in the box. Needing to just do it I found an expert diff. builder in Peter Haney at Ct. Axle in Ellington Ct. knowing I had to start someplace, I bought a new Detroit Truetrac Torsen style carrier for the rear to take the place of the used eBay unit in had installed myself. I brought Peter my van with two new Torsen carriers and the cast iron front diff. He rebuilt both front and rear units.
Last weekend with the help of my fellow a/s forum friend Rinny we installed the Torsened ci front diff along with all new ball joints and Detroit axles. We also swapped the two piece passenger side axle from the S-10 unit for the vans solid axle and tube.
So after what seems like forever and if you’ve been following this I’m sure it seems like it, I have it done. My 99 Safari awd is now equipped with twin Torsen differentials just like an army HUMVEE!
Initial reaction is promising. Slow speed maneuvering on a gravel surface was smooth with no grabbing or hopping. On the street the steering was neutral and light. I did notice an occasional grab during low speed cornering on pavement but they were slight and didn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to the grab so I’m going to chalk it up to brand new out of the box pieces and parts getting to know each other. I have 100 miles or so on pavement and five minutes on the power lines so I will continue to search for ways to test and report back to you.
Captn. Crunch
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Very exciting. Good work.

My 2003AwD Astro has the 2" lift, and Nerf bars,
Gotta install the np233 t case that has sat in my garage for 3 years. Wow time flies. I waited so long, that now It may be better to install np236 t case.
I have 3.42 axles, and still only have 27" tires, P225/70-16.
If I go to 29 tires, I my need to re gear, and then I could get rear posi or ?

AP

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Totally cool.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi Everyone,

The new Chevy Colorado Z2 has front and rear lockers. The SEMA show has a few neat concept versions. A van version would be nice.

Just read that new Jeep Wrangler will have 3 engine choices. 3.5 v6, 2.0 inline 4 w/turbo, and 3.0 turbo diesel.

AP

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Astrophysics wrote:Hi Everyone,

The new Chevy Colorado Z2 has front and rear lockers.
Now that's interesting to hear. Do we have any idea what carriers they're using?

EDIT: Looks like the older ones (at least) use the GM 8.6" rear. The 2006-2013 Colorado use the 7-5/8" front, but 2015+ use Dana M200.

Poop. Was hoping that'd be an easy retrofit for us.
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior

Topic author
Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

http://www.outfitterdesign.com/s10-dana ... ntial.html

Well poop if you are dead set on a front locker here you go. The nice people at Design Outfitters in Ma. got just the ticket. Bolt in unit, electricly operated. Pricey but they really put a lot of work into these things
Captn. Crunch
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Captn. Crunch wrote:http://www.outfitterdesign.com/s10-dana ... ntial.html

Well poop if you are dead set on a front locker here you go. The nice people at Design Outfitters in Ma. got just the ticket. Bolt in unit, electricly operated. Pricey but they really put a lot of work into these things
Ooooooooh.

Now we just need somebody to do up a reasonably priced rear axle and I'm set!

Topic author
Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Herbie wrote:
Captn. Crunch wrote:http://www.outfitterdesign.com/s10-dana ... ntial.html

Ooooooooh.

Now we just need somebody to do up a reasonably priced rear axle and I'm set!
I don’t think you need anything fancy for the rear. Powertrax has an updated “ lunchbox locker” that might be just the thing

For vehicles that are driven daily, the Powertrax® No-Slip Traction System is the latest design in quiet traction-adding differential technology. It combines the automatic street-friendly smooth operation of a limited-slip differential with the traction performance of a locking differential.
A patented, precise synchronization mechanism eliminates the ratcheting sounds typical of other automatic locking differentials. Special gear and spring designs reduce the backlash and, therefore, driveline windup. Only 9310 ultra-strength material is used, which is stronger than titanium.
Installation is simple because no ring and pinion set-up is required. In addition, no special tools or oils are needed. Step by step instructions are provided with every kit.
Captn. Crunch
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT

nonhog
I get chills without my van.

Post by nonhog »

Captn. Crunch wrote:
I don’t think you need anything fancy for the rear. Powertrax has an updated “ lunchbox locker” that might be just the thing

For vehicles that are driven daily, the Powertrax® No-Slip Traction System is the latest design in quiet traction-adding differential technology. It combines the automatic street-friendly smooth operation of a limited-slip differential with the traction performance of a locking differential.
A patented, precise synchronization mechanism eliminates the ratcheting sounds typical of other automatic locking differentials. Special gear and spring designs reduce the backlash and, therefore, driveline windup. Only 9310 ultra-strength material is used, which is stronger than titanium.
Installation is simple because no ring and pinion set-up is required. In addition, no special tools or oils are needed. Step by step instructions are provided with every kit.
Study time! I read some mixed reviews on the earlier units, thinking if the "updated" pans out I will be a player.
Recovering hoarder

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

Power Trax. I will look on line to read more about prices and suppliers.

AP

Topic author
Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

And just some more food for thought for those following my rumbling bumbling stumbling path toward traction nirvana a word of caution. I went the twin Torsen route not because it was easy but because it was hard. Everything I have done so far has been to prove the point that it can be done but not really if it should be done. I have painted myself into a very unique corner on this one and will push through to see how it works out but if I had to do it over again I might have taken a different path. I went with a front Torsen because I already had a rear Torsen. I didn’t want to mix traction styles. It might have made no difference but the purist in me wouldn’t allow it
I was told the Torsen wouldnt be happy living in any type of front end other than the two solid axle units we have. The LSD from Jeff at Engineered Performance would happily spin away in the Blazer styled two piece axle setup which would allow you to select low range while leaving the front axle disconnected for 2lo. It’s a small thing but it’s a thing I boxed myself out of. Using an EP clutch style LSD and using matching styled devices for the rear allow you a larger array of choices than I have.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy with the results so far. I’m looking forward to finishing the conversion from AWD to 4x4 and really testing the twin Torsen’s. Just please take the time to read thru the three or four years worth of posts on how I got to this point before making up your mind on where to put your money
Captn. Crunch
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

Great work Captn and thanks for daring to try something different! :cheers:
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander