1987 Astro Shutdown problem

Topic author
VanGeorge
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

1987 Astro Shutdown problem

Post by VanGeorge »

I was driving my 1987 Astro and it just died so I went to get my trailer and took it home.

The next day I went out and just checked to see if it would start and it started fine and I ran it several times and drove it around my property for about a month. My thoughts were a clogged fuel filter or bad fuel pump.

I took it to a friend's shop with a lift and had him change the fuel pump and pump's filter in the tank (a Rock Auto Part).
I also had him change the inline fuel filter.(The fuel pump relay checked out OK)

All said and done he drove it around his property several times with no problems.

I go pick it up today and get about 1/2 mile and it died again and would not start again.

Open to suggestions and or solutions.

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: 1987 Astro Shutdown problem

Post by Captn. Crunch »

To diagnose properly you need to diagnose. A fuel pressure gauge will confirm you are not having a fuel delivery issue. Checking for spark is next. I am leaning toward an intermittent electrical possibly a coil that is heating up and failing. Once cool will refire. Remove your doghouse and use a spark detector on a spark plug wire. If its the coil use ac delco don't go aftermarket on tune up parts. Good luck and let us know what you find
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Topic author
VanGeorge
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by VanGeorge »

Thanks Captn,

I attempted to start it again just a little while ago so I don't believe temperature is the problem.

I do not have a fuel pressure gage but I will try to find one and check it.

I do have a plug wire tester and I'll be on it this afternoon and I will certainly post the outcome in case others have the same problem, that's why this forum is so GREAT, everyone is willing to share information for free and in these days, that's rare.

Sincerely,
VanGeorge

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

I would check the spark control unit in the distributor. They can get a bit finicky and will cut out and in. If your driving and the engine slowly stumbles and dies that is usually fuel but if it just cuts suddenly and instantly then it is electrical.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Topic author
VanGeorge
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by VanGeorge »

OK, I finally fot around to working on the van.

I replaced was the O2 sensor, it was literally broken in half. Part dangling and the other still screwed in.

I changed the distributor cap, rotor, and the module. Buttoned it all up and ......no start.

I decided to look at a plug and it was all black inside with carbon. It wasn't full of buildup but just colored so I changed all of them and replaced the plug wires and.....It started.

None of the plug wires looked bad but the distributor contacts inside were all corroded. This I didn't understand because this engne doesn't have but appx 5000 to 6000 miles.

Thanks for the input guys!