Fuel Issue

Topic author
MickJack60
I am merely driving my van

Fuel Issue

Post by MickJack60 »

My daughter acquired a 1994 GMC Safari van that had been sitting for 3 or 4 years ( the ole guy that had it started it up occasionally during the time it was sitting but drove it very little). It runs and drives fine (no misfires or gas starvation problems) AFTER you once get it started. Its not getting fuel on the initial startup. I can spray a shot of starting fluid into the air filter hose and it always fires right up and runs excellent after that until you're ready to start it up again the next time. Sometimes it will start up without a shot of starter fluid but most times it wont. I have put fresh gas and Lucas fuel injector cleaner in it and it runs fine after startup. It has the CPI injection system on it which i'm not that familiar with. I bought a new fuel filter yesterday that i'm hoping will help when I get it installed. Is there any other thing(s) that I need to check as far as the CPI system. I've thought about it possibly could be the fuel pump but it runs so well after it starts. Thanks guys

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: Fuel Issue

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,
Did you connect scan tool to read any of the old OBD 1 old type codes? Code 34 would be MAF mass air flow sensor which can cause difficult starting. Old codes can also be read by connectinf metal paper clip to short pins A and B on connector, flash flash flash. Pause flash flash flash flash. Foes the yellow light to give code 3 4.
Study the CPI fuel injector system on line. As i recall it used plastic fuel lines and poppets. Sometimes the fuel lines leak and leave puddle of liquid gas inside the valley cover. The extra fuel will of course cause running rich and can plug catalytic converter and in worst case even cause backfire. With cat warmed up it may be good data ro use IR temperture gauge to shoot the output temp of CAT and input temp. If it is > than 300 degrees or so hotter at output it is running real rich.
Normal delta Temp is about 150 degrees F

AP

Topic author
MickJack60

Re: Fuel Issue

Post by MickJack60 »

No I haven't yet. I will do that tomorrow. As I said the van runs awesome (no signs of burning rich or anything like that) after it once starts. And with a little shot of starting fluid it starts right up. I gotta get that fuel filter on tomorrow as well. That could very well be the problem. Im gonna buy or borrow a fuel pressure tester and check the fuel pressure and see what it has. I understand from what ive read online this morning that it should have something like 50 to 60 psi, Thanks for the reply, she just got the van and I haven't had time to fool with it. I do have an obd1 code reading tool that I will plug in tomorrow as well.