Hello from a new member

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
roamineye
I am merely driving my van

Hello from a new member

Post by roamineye »

Hi, everyone - I'm not currently an owner of an Astro or Safari, but am actively searching for one to buy. In my seemingly never-ending search for the perfect adventure vehicle that's affordable, capable of pulling a couple of motorcycles, hauling a couple of bicycles, pulling our small 17 ft. Casita, and getting around in some light 4WD situations, I've found that the AWD version of these mid-sized vans might just be the answer. First question is: is it better to buy the later models (2000 - 2005) or the earlier models from a cost/reliability/repairability standpoint? I'm aware from reading some of this forum that there have been some changes in the drive train over the years, but I'm not sure which is better to work with and use as a road tripper/adventure wagon. Any thoughts or advice would be severely appreciated. Regards, Keith

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Hello from a new member

Post by mdmead »

Welcome!

I'm partial to the '96 to '98 models as they have the updated sheetmetal and interior, but still run the viscous transfer case. That being said, the later models with the rear discs are tempting... In the end, I'd be looking for the best cared for with the lowest mileage and go from there. You just about can't go wrong as these vans are pretty damned sturdy for the most part.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Hello and welcome
If you spend some time reading you will find to stay away from model year 95 iirc. It was a bastard year for these vans. I love my 99 electronic. But as already posted the last few years with the 16" six lug wheels and four disc is nice. Whatever you get if you don't like it you can change it. These things are eight passenger S-10's. the world is full of swappable parts. Read a few posts and you will quickly see why these things foster such adoration
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Topic author
roamineye

Post by roamineye »

Thanks for the advice, guys! It looks like I scored an '05 8-passenger AWD with 147K miles on it last night. Seller, who is 2nd owner, is delivering it to me this afternoon. Some very minor cosmetic issues, but mechanically seems very good. I'm excited to get started on morphing it into the adventure wagon that I've been searching for all these years! :supz:

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Congrats on the purchase. Start with fluid change. Transfer case is of particular importance with the insta-trac II blue stuff from the dealership. Every 50k. Can't wait to see what you have in mind. That means pics... Lots of pics!
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s