Transfer case clutch pack set up with special service tool

FROM AWD'S TO 2-SPEED MANUAL SHIFT, IF IT LINKS THE REAR AXLE TO THE FRONT AXLE, POST IT HERE.

Topic author
racrx7
I finally get the smurf thing

Transfer case clutch pack set up with special service tool

Post by racrx7 »

For anyone that wants to know the proper way to set up your transfer case clutch packs. This applies to the NP136, 236, 246. The special service tool used is the Kent Moore J44295.

Place the mainshaft with the clutch assembly on the tool base plate (1). Either clamp the base plate in a vise or do like I did and invert the front half case and use it as a stand. Install your frictions and steel plates into the drum/hub. Friction first, steel next. Alternate the two until you have 8 frictions and 7 steel plates,(for the 136 and 236. The 246 uses 10 frictions and 9 steels). Make sure you have all your steels installed with the tabs all in the same orientation. Do not install the clutch apply plate or any shims. Next, install the round 10lb weight (2) on top of the clutches with the machined step facing the clutches. Place gauge tool (3), on one of the legs of the tool base. Your setup should look like this:

This picture shows the clearance in the gauge block, without any shims installed.

You will use a feeler gauge to measure the clearance between the gauge block and weight. Measure the same on the remaining two legs of the base. The average of the three measurements is your clearance. Choose a shim that will close that clearance to 0, +- .004, as shown in the picture above. You can use a combination of two shims to gain the desired thickness. The shims are available from GMSPO. Once you have the proper clearance, don't remove or alter your clutch frictions and plates. Install the clutch apply plate, with wave spring. That's it, you're done. =D>
O3 Astro 4X4
Dropped front IFS axle
Journeys rear spring hangers and shackles, S-10 leaf springs, 2" body lift
255/70-16 BFG KO2's on 16x8 Fuel Revolvers

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: Transfer case clutch pack set up with special service to

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Well alrighty then! Thank you for photo documenting this important set up piece. Ask me how I know it's important. I didn't know about this tool and assembled without it and have issues.
I will be looking to acquire this tool as it appears clutch packs are gonna be a part of my life for a while. Great job!
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Re: Transfer case clutch pack set up with special service to

Post by Stroverlander »

Pretty simple with the right tool and thanks for the simple explanation, really great info. :cheers:
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander