help before i burn it

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO HOW YOUR VAN RUNS. IF IT BOGS, HESITATES, BACKFIRES OR JUST PLAIN RUNS LIKE CRAP...THIS IS THE PLACE FOR IT!

Topic author
captaincon
I am smitten with my van

Re: help before i burn it

Post by captaincon »

19° just seams excessive .
I have noticed its better first thing when every thing is very cold

AstroWill
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by AstroWill »

Doesn't seem horribly out of place to me, however I have not looked at mine after setting the initial timing. Did you warm up the engine before setting the timing?

Have you checked out the mechanical side of the engine at all? Check your fuel pressure, do a compression test, check your timing chain, vacuum leaks, stuff like that.

Are you getting any kickback when starting? Do you get any pinging on acceleration?

Topic author
captaincon
I am smitten with my van

Post by captaincon »

Engine hot
Engine is smooth as a nut
No air leaks
I have not checked fuel pressure yet ( is their a take of port I can't find one )
Some times it pinks
I am thinking the spark control unit .and knock sensor at back of the engine maybe at fault
I am not getting any fault codes from the ecu .
I get a code 42 when I disconnected the timing wire
Their is another sensor between cylinders 2&3 on the left bank I can find it in my manual so unsure what this is it has a single wire possibly black or very dark blue any idea's ?
Thanks for all the help
I rebuilt the tbi unit today with all new injectors and gaskets ( I removed it from the manifold to make sure I got everything nice and cleaned)

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

AstroWill wrote:Correct, once you re-connect the wire, the computer screws it over.
fixed that for you
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

AstroWill wrote:Correct, once you re-connect the wire, the computer takes over.
Yup, and with the EGR blocked off, might wanna try advancing the timing (with the wire disconnected) from zero to about 3 or 4 btdc.
If that pings put it back to 2, or zero and try. Was it set at zero when you ran it and got pinging?
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

AstroWill

Post by AstroWill »

captaincon wrote:I have not checked fuel pressure yet ( is their a take of port I can't find one )
You use an inline adapter.
captaincon wrote:Some times it pinks
Pinging should not be happening, the knock sensor should be detecting this before it's even audible and adjusting your timing, unless it's taking the timing out and it's still pinging.
captaincon wrote:Their is another sensor between cylinders 2&3 on the left bank I can find it in my manual so unsure what this is it has
Between cyl 2 and 3 is the intake :)
4.3firingorder.png
4.3firingorder.png (10.35 KiB) Viewed 6847 times

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

my 95 motor had one between 3 & 5.

Topic author
captaincon
I am smitten with my van

Post by captaincon »

Sorry between 3&5 spark plugs

AstroWill

Post by AstroWill »

Temp sensor for gauge maybe?

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

BTW, Your issue sounds just like this poor fellow on page 9, in a separate thread...

You 2 should get together on a cure for this !
http://astrosafarivans.org/bb2/viewtopi ... 000#p97000

Topic author
captaincon
I am smitten with my van

Post by captaincon »

I go to new York on Saturday so I have ordered every sensor on the engine and also a second hand ecm to be delivered to the hotel . So it will save on shipping to the UK .
I have also ordered a fuel pump so ecstatic thing will be New my plan is change each part in turn until it works how it should when I know which part fixes it I will update the post
Thanks for all the input and advice

Topic author
captaincon
I am smitten with my van

Post by captaincon »

Hi all right then update time .I changed every sensor on the engine as well as the ecm and fuel regulator and it made zero difference . The only noticeable thing was by changeing the knock sensor and the spark control unit after setting the timing the marks still line up after reconnecting the wire .
I finally got hold of a fuel pressure gauge and I found out that at idle the pressure is ok but when I rev it the pressure drops .
After dropping the tank I found the filter on the pump had started to collapse and also the outlet pipe was a very loose fit .
So I replaced the pump and fitted new clips and got a good seal on the pipe . I have had it out on the road and it all seams good.
So to sum things up I think I have finally got to the end of the running issues .
With all the new parts I should be good for at least the life of the van
Thanks for all the help

AstroWill

Post by AstroWill »

WoodButcher wrote:Have you checked the fuel pressure? New pumps in these vans fail too. If you pull the air cleaner you can watch the fuel spray.
Good advice :)

captaincon wrote:I finally got hold of a fuel pressure gauge and I found out that at idle the pressure is ok but when I rev it the pressure drops .
After dropping the tank I found the filter on the pump had started to collapse and also the outlet pipe was a very loose fit .
So I replaced the pump and fitted new clips and got a good seal on the pipe . I have had it out on the road and it all seams good.
So to sum things up I think I have finally got to the end of the running issues .
Glad you got it all worked out! You definitely have a few extra parts to keep in the garage for when something breaks, hope you don't need them :)

Topic author
captaincon
I am smitten with my van

Post by captaincon »

=D> Well 600 mile and still going strong :muhaha:

AstroWill

Post by AstroWill »

Congrats!