Can I remove AWD front driveshaft - 96GMC Safari

THIS FORUM IS FOR ANY QUESTIONS ON THE 7.25" IFS FRONT DIFF, CV HALF SHAFTS AND FRONT DRIVE SHAFT.

Topic author
astroskpe
I am merely driving my van

Can I remove AWD front driveshaft - 96GMC Safari

Post by astroskpe »

Newby here with new (to me) 96 AWD Safari. It has a completely severed (2 pieces) inner boot on right front driveshaft.

I have two questions: 1) do I have to disconnect the right upper ball joint (and maybe the shock absorber) to remove and replace the driveshaft with a rebuilt shaft from the local aps. OR
2) can I just have both front driveshafts permanently removed since I really prefer 2WD (I WILL be moving away from snow region before next winter) for the better gas mileage (1-1/2 - 2mpg?) and less stuff and weight (I would remove front differential and driveshaft from the transfer case when weather gets better)

Looking at postings on this forum it appears that the answer to the 1st idea is YES and the answer to idea #2 is NO. :cry:

Although I have helped a 2WD van owner disconnect and reinstall his upper ball joint, it was a tougher job than we expected (until I was able drill out the rivets) and I have reached the age of not taking on big projects outside in the blowing snow and cold, I question my ability to get #1 done. But it appears the best solution. OR can I reasonably expect to drive the van with the bad boot to Arizona (850 miles) and then replace the right front driveshaft there.

Any other ideas? Wrap the torn boot with some plastic and twisties before hitting the road?

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Can I remove AWD front driveshaft - 96GMC Safari

Post by WoodButcher »

They sell repair boots you could put on for a temporary fix if the joints are still functional.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

AstroWill
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by AstroWill »

If I remember correctly it was about $30 more for the shaft vs those quickboots.

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

No, you can't just remove the cv axle from the front differential and wheel bearing hub assembly and drive. The center nut on the wheel hub bearing attached to the cv axle is what sets bearing preload in the hub/bearing assembly so without that, potentially disastrous consequences.
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

Also I believe you wouldn't have park if you pull one drive shaft as it will allow the transfer case to turn allowing the van to roll away as if it was left in neutral.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Topic author
astroskpe

Post by astroskpe »

Thanks for replies. Repair boot, quickboot? Where? I have only been able to find one and it isn't a split boot (like old vw swing axle boots) that can be installed without taking the axle out. I agree in the case of having to remove the existing shaft to slide new boot on that just installing a replacement shaft makes good sense. I was really hoping that taking both shafts out would solve an immediate problem and be a step to converting to 2WD

Topic author
astroskpe

Post by astroskpe »

Again, thanks for help guys. Being pressed for time and not desiring to work outside in sub-freezing weather on a job I wasn't sure I have the tools for, I found a new shaft at a flaps for about $75.00 and a mechanic working in his residence garage who charged me $150. Most shops wanted $250-300 + the shaft at a marked-up price.

Then of course the next "good news" was the check engine light coming on. AAArrrgg! Looks like I get to change a cat. converter. Then I found a run-down 94 2WD Astro conversion, which is a whole new project. No I am NOT thinking of swapping the 94 drive train to the 96.