New fuel punp, still low fuel pressure

Tank, pump, filter, regulator, injectors and poppet valves etc.

Topic author
The Mack
I am merely driving my van

New fuel punp, still low fuel pressure

Post by The Mack »

Just picked up 99 AWD Safari drove it for a day of so, filled tank (gas gauge did not right either) got about 100 yards from gas station and it died. Suspecting fuel pump (it did seem loud when it was running) I removed doghouse and depressed schrader valve on fuel line and fuel barely came out, not hitting the ceiling like it should have so I assumed fuel pump was bad.

Replaced fuel pump module with a new delphi unit, and replaced filter and it is the same only producing about 10 psi after cranking for a while.

It sounded like the pump stated when I turned on the ignition switch but low pressure.

I did not check anything other swapping relays with the a/c one. I just walked away for the day as as the job kinda sucked, breaking a strap bolt, and having to replace a small section of fuel line cuz the filter was seized.

Anything I am overlooking before I drop the tank again?

TIA
1999 AWD Safari
2002 Astro
1996 Astro (sold)

Topic author
The Mack

Re: New fuel punp, still low fuel pressure

Post by The Mack »

Pulled every fuse to see if there was a bad one and low and behold it built pressure and started. There was no bad fuse.

Don't know if it was the resetting of the control module or a bad connection at fuse block. Don't care as as it keeps running.:-)
1999 AWD Safari
2002 Astro
1996 Astro (sold)

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

FYI I assumed the same thing about the schrader valve due to how the Haynes Manual describes it, had the same result you did and asked here bout it, turns out a lack of fuel coming out is no problem. This is just in case you have additional problems with your fuel system, don't let the schrader valve distract you with diagnosis as yours operated as expected.

Good to see it is still running, any problems in the past 6 months?
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Good to know about trouble shooting wiring and fuses.
We all learn valuable technical insight from the sharing of info.

Thank you,

AP
2003AWD