4.3L VCortec to 4.3L Ecotec3 Engine swap

ANYTHING TO DO WITH SWAPPING A V8 OR DIESEL INTO THE ASTRO/SAFARI

Topic author
4FX
I am merely driving my van

4.3L VCortec to 4.3L Ecotec3 Engine swap

Post by 4FX »

Newbie here so 1st post and question. Let me have !!!

Just wondering if anybody has done this yet and or is considering doing this. I have 3 Astros 2x 2003 1 AWD 1 RWD and a 2005 RWD and am considering doint his as all the vans are cargo vans. I'm considering doing this swap on all the vans as it would be less to keep these running for my business start-up rather than buying new 1500s or 2500s. Love the fuel mileage I get with them now but damn can't deny the new 4.3 LV3 Ecotec3 that GM has come out with for the fullsize GM trucks. Rated at 285HP and 305 Tq that's pretty stout over the 4th Gen 4.3s that I'm currently running. I'm already seeing them on ebay in the $2K range for entire engine, ECU and pedal set-up since it's a "fly-by-wire" not a bad price I think.

Sooooo is anybody considering these yet as a new viable option vs V8 swaps??? I want to know
Troy
2003 RWD
2003 AWD
and looking for 2 more LOW mileage 03-05 Astro AWD Cargos for my business

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: 4.3L VCortec to 4.3L Ecotec3 Engine swap

Post by Herbie »

What platforms does the engine come in?

If it comes in any cars or other "light duty" applications, then it'd be a good candidate for California. A V8 swap is off the table for me here since my van is a 2003 - the only LT-series engines made in that year or newer were in "heavy duty" applications. (And LS series apparently don't bolt up?)

All of that said, the Vortec is getting by just fine. I think if I ever get around to regearing, I'll be fine with the current power output. Better economy would catch my eye, though.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Wow, 4.3 Eco tec for $2,000 brand new, that sounds great. Maybe too good to be true?

A Goodwremch transmission is about $2k i would guess.

AP

Topic author
4FX

Post by 4FX »

@ Astrophysics: That's $2K range on ebay for a used 4.3 Ecotec3 out of GM fullsize trucks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-14-SILVE ... 0Y&vxp=mtr

@ Herbie: Right now I've only seen them in the new full size GM line of 1500s of light duty trucks.

all my vans are 03-05' in pretty good shape as for now, been thinking of looking for a couple more 03-05 Astros soon. as I'd like to try to find a couple more that are a bit more optioned out Also for they are slightly heavier duty than the previous years as so I'm told, with the 6 lug wheels and 4 wheel disc brakes. I'm also upgrading the brake systems with the EBC performance brakes and doing coil-over rear shock set-up to hold the weight of the equipment that I'll be hauling for my business (commercial tile/grout cleaning)
Troy
2003 RWD
2003 AWD
and looking for 2 more LOW mileage 03-05 Astro AWD Cargos for my business