My 2000 AWD 8" Lift from South Florida

Topic author
Mmusicman
I finally get the smurf thing

My 2000 AWD 8" Lift from South Florida

Post by Mmusicman »

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to this forum (but some of you may know me from the other one). Besides my introduction, this is my 1st post.

This is my 2000 AWD LS lifted Astro.
I estimate the lift to be about 8"... (roughly 7" body lift and roughly 1" torsion bar lift). The 31" tires are LT265/70R-17 and push me up another couple inches.. so I sit about 10" total higher than stock. The body lift is custom welded tubing between the sub-frame and main frame. The rear is block lift plus taller truck springs, and the van sits about level front and rear.

The motor is a stock V6 with about 185,000 miles, and electronic fan to deal with the lift.
The van came from Montana a few years back, but I don't know any of it's history.

The electronic AWD system is original, although I have put it on an interrupt switch with a lighted toggle switch mounted under the dash, which works nicely for me. I have an interest in swapping the transfer case one day with a 4x4 unit. No rush.. but I do intend to do the swap eventually.

The AWD is pretty useless where I live, and most people here have never even seen one or even knew they existed! I get constant looks while driving and get into discussions with people all the time about it. The lift is usually what gets their attention, but then they are even more surprised to learn Chevrolet actually built a factory AWD Astro. The lift is clean and designed well with very little noticeable exterior mods... and no issues whatsoever driving it.

It's my daily driver, and a real pleasure to drive!

My other van is a 92 shorty, with a recent V8-350 swap upgrade. (but that's another story for another discussion)

As I said in my introduction... I have been vanning most of my life.. and it's always been a big part of my life too. My previous full-size shorty vans include a supercharged 502 800+hp big block, as well as supercharged small blocks too. I'm also into classic cars, had a few 69 Chevelle's, and currently own a 71 Cutlass convertible. I do all my own work on all my vehicles, including building engines and re-building transmissions. I'm an enthusiast... but vans are my biggest passion!

I see some of you that I already know. Looking forward to meeting everyone else here on this forum too. :)

My 2000 AWD:

Cheers!
Last edited by Mmusicman on Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
2000 Chevy Astro LS AWD | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: My 2000 AWD 8" Lift from South Florida

Post by ihatemybike »

Nice looking van.

Do you get it out places where the AWD is needed?
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Topic author
Mmusicman

Post by Mmusicman »

I've only been off-road with it once.. over a year ago, in N. Florida.
I worked as hard as I could to get stuck.. and I eventually succeeded! :)

The first year I had the van, to see if the AWD even worked, I had to jack the rear in the air (in my driveway) to see if the front wheels would pull me along. We have no good places here is South Florida anymore for off-roading, unless you want to play in mud and swamps.

I do have fun however, stomping through flooded streets when we get our monsoons!

That's about it!
-

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Nice ride! :cheers:
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Mmusicman welcome to the site! I am one of those who has admired your lifted astro from pics on "the other site." I went with a 2" solid aluminum puck body lift and wish I'd gone the route you chose. She sits really nice congrats. It sounds like you know your way around a toolbox. I'd like to have seen your big block G van that musta been fun.
Lots of nice people here. Pretty laid back-nobody yelling...no pointless snide remarks to boost your post count... [-X
I feel your pain about trying to find places to offroad. You fly over Ct and its all woods but try to find a place to play and it's just impossible. Anyway welcome
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Wow, great looking van! Welcome!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

racrx7

Post by racrx7 »

Great looking van =D> Welcome to the site. It's pretty laid back here and lots of helpful people.
:cheers:
O3 Astro 4X4
Dropped front IFS axle
Journeys rear spring hangers and shackles, S-10 leaf springs, 2" body lift
255/70-16 BFG KO2's on 16x8 Fuel Revolvers

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Welcome, and Wow, :yikes: nice van, Both of them
Thats a nice shorty, I'll have to read more about it.
is it a 5 speed?
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
Mmusicman

Post by Mmusicman »

My shorty is a stock 92 cargo van with a carbureted high-performance V8-350 upgrade... headers, true-dual exhaust.
The trans is stock 4-speed overdrive 700R4 with shift-kit, lockup on toggle switch and internal 4th gear switch.
Rear suspension is stock, front has 1 coil removed... differential is stock.

I plan to post more on it soon...

-

Topic author
Mmusicman

Post by Mmusicman »

Here's my other toy... :)
Needed a 10" drop hitch to tow the trailer!

-

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Man o man, you have great toys ! I'm green with envy. :D
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
Mmusicman

Post by Mmusicman »

doyoulikeithere wrote:Man o man, you have great toys ! I'm green with envy. :D
Sounds like you have a few toys too.
-

H2OJoe

Post by H2OJoe »

Beautiful vans! What other mods do you have to make when you go with higher lifts? Longer brake lines? What else?
I have 3" body pucks with slight torsion bar adjustment up front and heavy duty S10 springs and shackles in the rear which gives me
about 4-4 1/2" of lift.
2001 Astro LT AWD "Redneck Edition", 4" Custom Lift, 30x9.5R15LT on stock wheels, Hightop conversion, custom interior, custom roof racks, external solar shower, front recovery points. SOLD

1997 Astro LS AWD Starting build soon.

Topic author
Mmusicman

Post by Mmusicman »

Thank you for the nice compliments.

Well, the rear lift is the easiest. I have 5" blocks PLUS the extra lift from the truck springs. This gives me about 7-8" total. Only thing extra needed here is long u-bolts and long shocks. The pinion angle worked out perfect. The brake line was unbolted and positioned to accommodate.

The front lift requires a bit more modifications. When going with this much lift.. simply lifting with extremely long pucks or tubes would make for dangerous lateral weakness. In my case, a sub-frame lift system (between the lower sub-frame and main frame) was built with steel square tubing welded cross support, as well as being welded in place. This ensures stability so the lower separated sub-frame doesn't try to shift forward or backward under hard lateral conditions. You wouldn't want the sub-frame coming out from under you if you hit a pot-hole or any other hard obstacle. This would explain why basic lift kits are typically no more than 2" or so. I also have a slight moderate tweak on the torsion bars for additional lift, with stock keys. Too much lift here can produce harsh angles that can damage front CV joints, may cause vibration,... and create other possible issues too.

As far as brake lines or transmission lines... they are all still stock, simply just bent to accommodate. The only thing extended was the steering coupler. All lines and connections are still stock.

An electric fan was necessary.. as well as an aftermarket air-cleaner... since both originally relied on the shroud which no longer fits or works.

The bumper has to be relocated. My mounts were fabricated from steel stock and welded in place. My bumper pad was trimmed (with razor-knife) to accommodate the 31" tires... as well as some minor trimming of the body cladding around the fenders.

There are no spacers on the wheels, and everything fits and works, with no rubbing anywhere. I have NO vibrations... and no driving or stability issues whatsoever. My ride is firm and stable, with exception of strong side or head winds, which usually affect most vans anyway. The ride is very straight and stable. It rides quite a bit better than my Gen 1 on stock suspension.

This is a work van and I drive it daily. It sees plenty of highway use too. The excessive lift is trouble free... with exception of me climbing in sometimes, first thing in the mornings. But the view driving is worth it! :)
-

H2OJoe

Post by H2OJoe »

Thanks for all the great info! :cheers:
2001 Astro LT AWD "Redneck Edition", 4" Custom Lift, 30x9.5R15LT on stock wheels, Hightop conversion, custom interior, custom roof racks, external solar shower, front recovery points. SOLD

1997 Astro LS AWD Starting build soon.