Radiator drain plug?

Radiator, thermostat, water pump, antifreeze, etc.

Topic author
The Mack
I am merely driving my van

Radiator drain plug?

Post by The Mack »

Want to flush and replace coolant on my 99 safari awd and don't see a drain plug, the ones on my 2wd 96, and 02 astro I could easily access.

If there is one it looks like shrouding needs to be removed but I really don,t see one from above..

Also there is some kind of cooler below the radiator shroud and behind the front valence, a u shaped tube with some bends in it. one of the fittings is leaking and it appears to be coolant (can't really tell but does not look like trans or power steering fluid) What is this cooler for?

TIA
1999 AWD Safari
2002 Astro
1996 Astro (sold)

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Radiator drain plug?

Post by Smiliesafari »

The drain is a pain in the butt. If I remember right it is on the right side. I don't think the shroud needs to be removed. The cooler you mention is for the power steering.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
The Mack

Post by The Mack »

Thanks, did not have time to tear into it. Much more crowded up there than my RWD vans.I think coolant is leaking from the radiator on to the power steering cooler, it did not look or feel like fluid.

Want to do belt, idler and belt tensioner so I will be removing shroud and get a better look.

Funny all 3 vans I have had have a belt squeal from time to time usually when damp. A few drops of water on the belt and it will go away so I know it is not a accessory idler or tensioner. Never did figure it out as it usually goes away.

Thanks again.
1999 AWD Safari
2002 Astro
1996 Astro (sold)

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

I my 2003 Astro AWD, i made the upper fan shroud into 2 pieces after removing it. I used a black sharpie marker to draw a line down the middle. Then i cut the composite shroud with my jig saw.

Just used a small flat 2" long mending plate to secure the2 pieces, with 1/4" stainless screws and nylon lock nuts.

2 piece top shroud is easier to remove and install for quick access to belts or alternator, etc.

AP