2003 intermittent stalling

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO HOW YOUR VAN RUNS. IF IT BOGS, HESITATES, BACKFIRES OR JUST PLAIN RUNS LIKE CRAP...THIS IS THE PLACE FOR IT!

Topic author
SteveTR6
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

2003 intermittent stalling

Post by SteveTR6 »

The last week my 03 Astro (129,000 miles) has started an intermittent stall or no-start problem. I am getting no check engine light (I haven't tried plugging in my reader to see what it may show, but the light is not on). Here's what I've encountered: Last week it stalled as my wife pulled into her work parking lot. Later on, it started and ran fine. Saturday, we drove it 100 miles to Michigan. Ran beautifully, but after sitting for 2 hours it would not start. I had to dance on the gas pedal to get it to start, then continue on the gas slightly to keep it running. If I let go of the pedal, it would not idle and would stall. A few hours later, it started and ran fine all the way home, including stopping and restarting 3 times. Sunday, I spent half the day replacing plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and PCV valve. I am not the original owner, and found that all that stuff was original so it definitely needed replacing. Van started perfectly after that, drove it to the store, would not start without application of gas pedal after shopping. Nursed it home without letting it idle. Once home, it would idle, but not well -- it wanted to stall... Yesterday, wife had it stall on the way into the parking lot again. Then, on her way home, it stalled at a traffic light. She says when she got it restarted (took a few tries) the gas gauge read dead empty and the low fuel light came on. It has over 1/8 tank in it... The gauge took the rest of her drive home (3 miles+) to recover to correctly read 1/8. She says it initially raised up from dead empty to a hair over empty after a couple miles, then as she sat in the driveway it finally went up to the correct reading.
I'm not good at troubleshooting these intermittent problems. Give me something broken and I can fix it. I replaced the fuel pump assembly in a 2002 Astro I had, so I know what a pain it is. I have sat in the 2003 and listened to the pump fire when I turn the key. Also, I have noticed that this pump is noisier in general operation than either of the 2 previous Astros I owned.
Any thoughts? Is fuel pump replacement in my near future or is this a sensor-related issue? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
-Steve-
2003 Astro LT AWD, dark carmine red, newest family member
2002 Astro LT 2WD, pewter -- gone but not forgotten. head gasket at 209k did it in
1994 Astro CL EXT, traded at 150k for the 2002
2000 Jaguar XJ8L, wife's daily driver
1981 Goldwing, naked, my daily driver 8+ months out of the year
1980 Vespa P200, wife's toy

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: 2003 intermittent stalling

Post by Astrophysics »

Very nice looking van' burgundy and silver 2 tone paint is nice.

1. You could clean MAF mass air flow screen
2. Could be TPS, throttle position sensor
3. Could change fuel filter.'
4. Could be IAC, idle air control

Good luck.

It should be fixable.

AP