Slight leak from NP233 tail - Fix, upgrade, just top off?

FROM AWD'S TO 2-SPEED MANUAL SHIFT, IF IT LINKS THE REAR AXLE TO THE FRONT AXLE, POST IT HERE.

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Slight leak from NP233 tail - Fix, upgrade, just top off?

Post by Herbie »

Hey all,

So I finally had the van sitting on one place long enough to really spot the source of some oil I'd been looking for. Turns out I've got what looks like a weep from the seal at the extension housing that mates to the driveshaft. The amount of fluid doesn't seem huge, although it's inconveniently placed because it looks like it's throwing a little bit of oil right at the slip-yoke/driveshaft interface, since I'm seeing it on my recently replaced rear 02 sensor (wondering if this might have contributed to that sensor failing...), the exhaust, and other things in a plane from that spot.

So my question is this: I know the jeep guys are all about replacing the slip-yoke on the NP231 due to the propensity for leaks and to make it possible to drop the driveshaft and proceed in FWD should there be a failure in the rear end. Given that I don't wheel that hard, I'm not sure this is worth the cost for me, but I thought I'd ask, since in general I prefer to make the choice in favor of robustness and trail survivability. On the other hand, this leads to the path of custom drive shafts, etc. and eliminates the ability to swap back to the AWD T-case should I desire later...

If the consensus is that a slip-yoke eliminator isn't worth it, the next question is how much to fix this, and is THAT even worth it? I could just keep an eye on the fluid and top it up as needed, but the thrown fluid has be concerned.

Thoughts?
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Re: Slight leak from NP233 tail - Fix, upgrade, just top off

Post by photo_van »

IMO no need for a SYE on our rigs. The seal on the rear output shaft is a super easy fix; drop the driveshaft, pull the seal (seal puller probably needed) replace the seal. I replaced mine when I put in the new TC, so I had it apart. Even if you need to pull the tailshaft housing; four bolts is it.

Before you pull the driveshaft, check and see if you have any play in the yoke/tailshaft bushing. If significant, that may need to be replace too. Also easy but will require the removal of the tailshaft housing.
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Thanks, that's good info!
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

Like photo_van recommends, I'd just replace the bushing too. Doesn't hurt and prevents a potential source of vibration down the road. Be sure to lube the yoke on install too.
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander