engine

Topic author
harley42
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

engine

Post by harley42 »

I have a 1996 Astro. It won't start. The compression on cyl 1 is low 70lbs. It does not burn oil. If it has burned valves, how did that happen. Do i have to lift the body off to get at the engine?

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: engine

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Hey
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Low compression could be valve related or rings or head gasket. You can get quite good access to the motor by removing the "doghouse" engine cover inside the van. I would start by pulling the valve cover and checking the rocker arms for #1. Pull the coil wire and roll the motor over watching for any differences between your trouble cylinder and its neighbor.
If it's not a rocker you will be taking the top of your motor off. The stock gaskets were horrible and these things are notorious for intake gasket failures. Old trick was to fill the combustion chamber of the removed cylinder head with brake fluid and let it sit overnight. Any leaking would signal bad valve seating and require a valve job or at least some time with lapping compound. Broken rings are highly unlikely as it's usually caused be detonation which will effect all cylinders.
I am not really familiar with your year and if you have a bolt together radiator support. If so then pulling the engine out through the front after removing the hood and grill would probably work best
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s