How is Evap Canister Vent Valve closed?

General technical discussion and troubleshooting

Topic author
rlyoung
I am smitten with my van

How is Evap Canister Vent Valve closed?

Post by rlyoung »

I have reason to suspect that my Evap Canister Vent Valve is not closing for testing when it should. It has battery voltage to it when the car is on, and it should close when the computer completes the circuit to ground. Where is this ground point? Through a relay, through 'the computer' directly?

I have a P0446 code which points to this area as a possible cause. The gas cap is new OEM. I have hooked up a piezo buzzer in parallel with the valve thinking it should sound when it and the valve are grounded, but no sound through several cycles of resetting the code.

Probably unrelated, the hose to the spherical vacuum reservoir by the passenger side wheel well is poor and may be slightly leaking, but the blower doors work fine. I don't suppose it's part of the evap vacuum circuit?

Thanks.

AstroWill
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: How is Evap Canister Vent Valve closed?

Post by AstroWill »

rlyoung wrote: Where is this ground point? Through a relay, through 'the computer' directly?
Computer.
rlyoung wrote: Probably unrelated, the hose to the spherical vacuum reservoir by the passenger side wheel well is poor and may be slightly leaking, but the blower doors work fine. I don't suppose it's part of the evap vacuum circuit?
If one vacuum hose is bad, then likely more are, spend the few $ and replace them all one at a time until they are all new.

Topic author
rlyoung
I am smitten with my van

Re: How is Evap Canister Vent Valve closed?

Post by rlyoung »

Thank you.